Cannot open file for writing during ArcGIS Pro installation.

Jump to solution
04-22-2017 05:27 AM
BrianWygal
New Contributor II

Problem installing ArcGIS Pro to Program Files cannot open file for writing. Any one have suggestions? It tries to force installation in Documents folder instead. Windows 10, Surface Pro 4. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I created a folder in the c drive called ArcGISpro and did the install there.  I would recommend the same since there is a conda distribution of python and other stuff that should be well isolated from other windows stuff. PS I did this on the Microsoft Book just in case that makes a difference from other machines.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I created a folder in the c drive called ArcGISpro and did the install there.  I would recommend the same since there is a conda distribution of python and other stuff that should be well isolated from other windows stuff. PS I did this on the Microsoft Book just in case that makes a difference from other machines.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been installing Esri software to a C:\ArcGIS folder since Windows XP time to make it easier to keep track and manage permissions (for example we like to have users to have at least limited access to the install folder), but it also avoids spaces in the install path. It just makes life a little easier all around! 

MatthewBliss
Esri Contributor

Brian,

Are you talking about running the ArcGISPro.msi, or the self-extractor?  The self-extractor defaults to a folder in your Documents directory, but the .msi itself should install Pro to your specified location.

0 Kudos