How can I georeference a 3D model in ArcGIS?

04-22-2017 06:45 AM
JoachimFerstl
New Contributor

#

Hello there,

I found this nice 3D-model of a temple in Myanmar in Google Earth.

The model can be downloaded here as a *.skp file. Now if I want to import it into ArcMap or ArcScene I have to create a Multipatch from the .skp first, which I already did. Beforehand I had to safe it as the earliest .skp version available so the Import 3D Files Tool in ArcGIS would work correctly. 

My problem is that the newle created file of course has no coordinate system defined. Nevertheless it is displayed more or less correctly in ArcMap and after I moved it to the right spot on the map it looked like this:

After I saved the file, it was displayed like this everytime I loaded it into ArcMap. Now my problem is, that I want to use this model in ArcGISonline and when I try to upload the *.shp to my contents the page tells me, that the file has no .prj and I need to set a Geographic CRS first. But when I do so in ArcMap the model isn't displayd correctly any more.

Do you guys have any idea on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kirankk
New Contributor

In sketch up itself we can bring into coordinate system. Import Google Image  in to sketch up and then move your model on to the correct location. Remove the Image and save as collada format,then try to  load in ArcGIS .It will work. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer!

When adding the google image in Sketchup the model is located perfectly where it should be.

When importing in ArcGIS with the "Import 3D Files"-Tool I have the option to choose the coordinate system. When I leave coordinate system empty the model will be imported but its located at the origin of the geographical coordinate system (0 lat 0 long). So I need to know the coordinate system in which the file is saved. Any ideas on how to do so?

0 Kudos