Can ArcGIS Pro Layer (.lyrx) names have spaces in them?

04-24-2017 07:00 AM
DannyThompson2
New Contributor III

Can ArcGIS Pro Layer (.lyrx) names have spaces in them? 

I ask because when attempting to save 'layer file spaces.lyrx' I receive the 'Invalid Path' error. Replace this with 'layer_file_spaces.lyrx' and it saves without a problem.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Regards,

Danny.

(ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1)

14 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would you say that you should not put spaces in the file names. Here is some documented error messages that support that idea:

080020: Invalid output path.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

001255: Input file name has spaces.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

001256: Output file name has spaces.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
DannyThompson2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the links George, I rarely put spaces in, but sometimes, client working practices aren't always as geared to the particular idiosyncrasies of the GIS data management world. They simply want / expect an application to be able to save a named file with a space in it. Removing white space should be a matter of choice, not one enforced by the software. The error message could at least offer a little more detail i.e. the path is fine, the filename is the problem.

George_Thompson

I would open a case with Esri Technical Support‌ and have them review the behavior to be certain. I can understand the matter of choice, but also agree it is not best practice.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DannyThompson2
New Contributor III

Will the mention be enough to register that with https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support?sr=search&searchId=ef95d1a9-3c0b-4113-b051-8be66...‌, or do I need to post it again somewhere specific? Thanks!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Nope, the @ mention is to the GeoNet group. You will need to log a case via Esri Support Home 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DannyThompson2
New Contributor III

Thanks again George, I've registered the question with Esri UK.

0 Kudos
DannyThompson2
New Contributor III

My Esri UK response:

"Just wanted to let you know that your reporting of the issue about not being able to save layer files with blanks in the name, has been recognised by Esri Inc. as defect ENH-000104769, and will be evaluated further by the development team.

The enhancement covers both, documenting better the limitation in the help pages, and also adding a more clear and meaningful error message, in place of the current "invalid path" message.

Unfortunately,  the limitation is there to stay.  So to answer your query, no, blanks are not supported, currently, for layer files in ArcGIS Pro.  I know this is a discrepancy with ArcMap, but that is how it has been designed in Pro."

DannyThompson2
New Contributor III

At a Pro discussion panel at the UC with 8 of the senior product architects taking questions. They were asked when spaces would be supported in lyrx file names and it was the only question none could answer. The chief architect just said 'I'm surprised they're not already'!

Said they'd get back to me...

One of the purposes of the layer files it to make the feature class file look legible from say their geodatabase naming convention. Having to _ these does not add to the clarity i.e. 'Waste Pipe Pressure Tests' or 'Waste_Pipe_Pressure_Tests'

P.S. see my earlier point: I rarely put spaces in (prefer underscores), but sometimes, client working practices aren't always as geared to the particular idiosyncrasies of the GIS data management world. They simply want / expect an application to be able to save a named file with a space in it. Removing white space should be a matter of choice, not one enforced by the software

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I have no trouble saving Pro's *.lyrx files with spaces on my local drives, and re-loading them back into Pro using the catalog window. I do this all the time. This is all on a Windows 10 system...

Are you really sure this isn't some network drive related issue, I see you are saving to some non-local network drives in the screenshot? If these are unix or linux drives, I am wondering if the problem hasn't to do with some configuration issue related to that, and if the linux drives and the software making them available in your Windows, are actually the culprit and causing the limitation of not being able to save with spaces.

E.g., a discussion thread like this one may be an interesting read:

Is space not allowed in a filename? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange