Database Domain/Value Changes While ArcPad AXF Checked Out

Jump to solution
04-25-2017 05:09 AM
JustinRay1
Occasional Contributor

I have a question on data integrity, specifically between the interaction between AXF check-ins and changed domains & associated values within a database. 

Specifically, say I have a domain for a field for three values, Alb : Albatross, Bir : Birdie, and Cho : Choke.  I have let's say a feature class with a field that uses these values and has a bunch of records populated with Alb, Bir, or Cho.

Next, I check out an AXF for editing in ArcPad. 

I then decide to change the Domains to A : Albatross, B : Birdie, and C : Choke.  I also change the existing values of Alb, Bir, and Cho to A, B, and C respectively. 

My question is, when I then check in the AXF (with let's say new features), what happens?  It would attempt to check in values of Alb, Bir, and Cho which would not correspond to the new domain values.  Would it also attempt to update the existing database of A, B, or C back to their old values as well?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

The AXF records the data using the schema present during checkout. If you change the domain codes in ArcGIS between checkout and checkin, the checked in data will check in, but will be "invalid". You will have to manually edit the invalid data in ArcMap or using ArcToolbox models, etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

The data should be stored as the codes (A, B, C), not as the descriptions. As long as you have not changed the codes, your data should still be valid, and the new descriptions should show up in ArcGIS following checkin.

BTW, you can select and then Validate Features during an edit session following checkin to make sure all of your checked in data is valid...this will check that you don't have any non-domain values.

0 Kudos
JustinRay1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ingrid,

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry I wasn't clear enough - I was meaning that the codes themselves were changing.  Would that matter?  Would I just need to change the newly checked in data to match the new codes after check-in (and all of the unaltered data would remain with the new codes)?

Justin

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

The AXF records the data using the schema present during checkout. If you change the domain codes in ArcGIS between checkout and checkin, the checked in data will check in, but will be "invalid". You will have to manually edit the invalid data in ArcMap or using ArcToolbox models, etc.

IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

And yes, all unaltered data would just remain unaltered.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I have a different workflow with my ArcPad apps, but would adding new domain/values vs altering them help any? Maybe a A2, B2, C2, etc.  Then if this is all that is needed for this field colection, maybe change the code so the checklist/pulldown/buttons are only allowing the new values?  Just a thought, and may not be possible for your situation.

0 Kudos