How can I access a version on a renamed feature class?

Jump to solution
04-26-2017 08:25 AM
deleted-user-zpcJw1u0IXiO
Occasional Contributor

A colleague made many edits in a version of the parcel feature class a year ago before retiring. Since her departure the version was left untouched, but the feature class was renamed after being moved out of the feature dataset, where it was replaced by an XML Workspace Document from another server. Today we tried viewing her version, but could see no difference between it and the default. This must be because the feature class is not the one she worked on. But by loading the copy of the original into ArcMap and changing to her version, we see no difference. I suspect that copying a feature class leaves its versioned edits behind, so we fear we have lost her work. What (if anything) can be done to see the versioned edits? Maybe only by a database backup from that far back? I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Justin

version geodatabase‌ ‌

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, the assumption is correct. An old database backup will only show you her edits.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, the assumption is correct. An old database backup will only show you her edits.

Occasional Contributor

I put in a request for restore of backup this morning before I saw this. The renaming, etc. happened in late December, so I'm hopeful the backups go back that far. Thank you for confirming my action on this.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Just fyi...copying a feature class carries over the edits in the version of the geodatabase you are connected to, while doing the copy.

So, if you had connected to the editor's Version in ArcCatalog connection, and then done the Copy\paste to another location\same gdb....it would have kept the edits in that version in the feature class copy. Just in case this helps in the future.

Occasional Contributor

That's good to know. Thank you

0 Kudos