ArcGIS Online Print widget PDF legend name displayed as "Override1"

04-26-2017 12:29 PM
ChennaKishore
Esri Contributor

we have created a web map and shared the map with WebApp Builder with launchpad template. we configured the print template with default values. when we print the map you can see the map in the pdf and legend you can see the correct symbols but only the item names "Override 1" "Override 2" etc is displaying.

Please see the attachment

20 Replies
davetinkle
New Contributor III

A more general Q: when these matters go unresolved for so long, what is the next step in the use-of-force continuum? It seems others have had this issue for many years, and it has largely gone ignored, or met with esoteric and arcane suggestions, with no response for clarity when asked.

I'm intelligent enough to deploy & use most of the features from 3.22 & up to present release; why not fix this in the API, or at least give a clear work-around?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Dave,

This issue is being actively worked on with the 10.6 print service. We are in the process of verifying fixes and hope to have this addressed in an upcoming release of ArcGIS Online.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
davetinkle
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

To confirm, users of the JS API [as of this writing version 4.6] invoke the 10.6 print service with the PrintTask? I'm only familiar with the developer API, and don't know how the 2 communicate.

Any estimate when 10.6 will be released? I will get asked this question by the user and need to provide accurate info.

Thanks!

-Dave

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey David,

ArcGIS Enterprise is available at 10.6 currently. The default print service for ArcGIS Online has not been upgraded to the next version yet. We hope to do this in the next release or two. I will update this post with updates when possible.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

I missed the Dev Summit this year, or else I would have an answer.  Right now I am the AGOL print service and find that the legend items only work when the web map and its layers are not altered in any way.  After publishing.  I am thinking that that if the feature layer definition does not match the original service definition, then the AGOL print service won't render the label.  

You mentioned in the previous comment that a solution is in the works for a future AGOL update.  For me, in a situation where we are deploying apps now, do you have any api documentation on how best I should work with the current AGOL legend for Feature Layer and Feature Layer Views?  It seems that Feature Layers Views are not supported, but Feature Layers are if they are not modified after publishing to AGOL. 

I am at a crossroads where I should either render my own and it too the MAP ONLY print along with the log and North arrow I am adding, or use the AGOL Legend.

Thanks,

Rich

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Rich,

There are a few bugs in the current print service that result in the aforementioned legend bugs. Most of these bugs are associated with specific smart mapping renderers. Some workarounds have been implemented in map viewer to overcome these issues for the time being, but won't be applied until the print service is upgraded. This is tentatively scheduled for the upcoming release of ArcGIS Online scheduled for April 10. 

If you can wait until April 10, I would suggest testing out the print service in the early adopters community to ensure that it works for you. If you need to deploy before then, test the symbology you use for print ability in the legend.

For more information about the early adopters community, check out this blog:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/03/07/test-the-next-version-...

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

That Early Adopter AGOL site is blocking my access because I am not an esri employee.

Just to be clear regarding my question.  I am using the Unique Value Renderer, and want to pass Legend Layers into the Print Task for AGOL. 

My Question:  Do I need to be more detailed about building the renderer for the LegendLayers so that AGOL print task will honor it, or is it a waste of time because the PrintTask will always show Override1, Override 2, etc?  Currently, the renderer is being retrieved from a LayerView on AGOL and applied to the layer in the map. 

My next approach is to build a new renderer after retrieving the json and adding the types with a label one by one, but I don't know if that will resolve the Override issue.  It is simply that I need to have a label next to the color for the type in the legend.  The colors are there but the label always says Override.  

I will be testing with building the LegendLayer renderer again today.

0 Kudos
davetinkle
New Contributor III

I just fired up 4.7, printed, and not only is it NOT fixed, but what used to be Override 1, Override 2...Override N is now *all* Override 1 [icon colors are distinct, FWIW]

here's the question: as paying users, when can we expect this to be fixed? is there a hotfix you can push? this needs to be fixed, and very, very soon.

please escalate soonest & feel free to pass along my info so I can give any developers excruciating details. I will make myself available 24/7, because this needs to fixed ASAP, as we have people who are paying us in kind for our services as well.

KellyGerrow

HI Dave,

Can you please contact Support Services to look into this specific issue? This way someone can look into the specific issue and log your information:

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support 

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos