Using Image Analysis Functions to Display Layer Tints on Hillshades

04-30-2017 04:30 AM
andreamilan
New Contributor

Hello to everyone, i'm trying to apply this method Using Image Analysis Functions to Display Layer Tints on Hillshades | ArcWatch 

to create an image that retains the original colors and details Using Image Analysis Functions to Display Layer Tints on Hillshades avoid a washed-out image with less detail. (  When the hypsometric tint is displayed transparently over the hillshade, the result is a washed-out version of the hypsometric tint and a less detailed version of the hillshade).

I have the layer with the applied ramp color, as in Figure 1 attached and the file in gray scale (fig2).

At step one,To treat the layer-tinted DEM I follow step by step instructions as follows:In the Export Raster Data dialog box, check Use Renderer and check Force RGB. Choose a location and file name, then click Save Choose to add the exported data to the map as a layer. The three-band RGB image will be added to the table of contents.

But the result is somewhat bizarre (fig3). Can you tell me why?

figure 1:

figure2:

figure3:

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When I try to open the link to the image I get a message about an unsafe site. In GeoNet you can attach images or even better, simply copy the content of an image in the thread. Please avoid using external sites. 

I normally use mosaic datasets for my DEM/DSM data and apply raster chain functions for easy visualization. See example here: https://community.esri.com/people/xander_bakker/blog/2016/07/18/using-mosaic-datasets-and-raster-cha... 

It provides very fast display and visualize different derived products on the fly

0 Kudos
andreamilan
New Contributor

figure1figure2figure3

0 Kudos
andreamilan
New Contributor

thank you very much, I will also test your method, while attaching the images you could not see.

edit:

I created a mosaic dataset in my database and then I added the two raster layers to this mosaic dataset.

Now what should I do to visualize them? Processing template tab is empty e and mosaic dataset layer is displayed on screen as White.Thanks for your patience!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In my blog post: https://community.esri.com/people/xander_bakker/blog/2016/07/18/using-mosaic-datasets-and-raster-cha... there are a number of tools you should use:

• Create Mosaic Dataset
  • Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset
  • Build Overviews

After that the mosaic dataset should display normally. To implement the Raster Chain functions I recommend you to use the step described in Editing function chains in a mosaic dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The Raster Chain function that combines the hill shade and a color ramp is: Shaded Relief function—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos