Has anyone implemented ArcGIS Portal in a Windows cluster? Is it recommended?

04-29-2017 09:57 PM
SujeetShetty
Esri Contributor

In a High availability setup, is it recommended to setup ArcGIS Portal and ArcGIS Server in a Windows cluster. Is it recommended practice?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

As long as the system requirements and prerequisites for Portal HA are met, I can't see there being a problem.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have two IIS servers Window NLB - the ArcGIS servers can communicate to multiple web adapters.  But, the portal can only communicate to ONE web adapter at a time.  So, I have one host started and one host stopped.  This is a NLB cluster of IIS servers, though.

I have multiple ArcGIS servers - they load balance themselves and clustering is controlled in ArcGIS server manager.  I only found the need to use the default cluster.

My enterprise MSSQL database servers are Windows NLB clustered also.  With replication occurring from a production server to the cluster.  The production server database receives all live editing that is not conducted via the federated managed data store.  I no longer use my enterprise database as my hosted database - since there is more functionality when you use the proprietary data store.

My config store, directories, local data and cache are also on a single separate virtual server.  

To answer your question:  I believe ESRI wants you to NLB a Portal cluster, also.  With your content directories on a separate shared file server.  This would not be hard to do.  But, I have not found any performance need to do this, yet.  They have the portal "collaboration" thing going on, too.  Collaboration appears to be more of a division of two portals that combines both sites' portal items - I don't think it could be used for high availability.  But, maybe.