When will Cognos 11 be supported?

05-03-2017 12:44 AM
JeroenVaes
New Contributor II

We currently use ESRI Maps for Cognos with Cognos 10.2.2. The next version, Cognos Analytics 11, is not yet supported. We would like to upgrade but I can't find any information when ESRI Maps for Cognos will support the new version. Can anyone give me an idea on a timeframe? Or is there no new version coming?

9 Replies
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

Any news? IBM seems to have adopted Mapbox as its mapping sollution for Cognos, which doesn't suit our requirements at all:

• (currently) no support for custom geometries
  • only supports Web Mercator

Hope ESRI can give us some good news.

0 Kudos
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

Still no news? Even a negative answer would be better than no answer. If ESRI won't support Cognos anymore, we'll start looking into the next version of Cognos, which does support custom geometries. We might start using FME to get data from our geodatabase to MapBox/Cognos then.

0 Kudos
ChrisWillard
New Contributor

Our ESRI rep told us ESRI Maps for Cognos was not going to be updated to support Cognos Analytics because IBM made significant changes to the code and how the process function within Cognos analytics.

Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

Thanks for this information! My Cognos-guy told me Cognos will be supporting custom geometry later this year. We’ll probably try to use FME to connect ArcGIS to Cognos/Mapbox by then.

0 Kudos
JeroenVaes
New Contributor II

I've noticed EM4C is gone from the "IBM and ESRI"-page, so I suppose it's dead.

Previously ESRI has stated that they were working with IBM to make EM4C work in Cognos 11 (see Esri Maps for IBM Cognos 6.1.1 released | ArcGIS Blog ). I have heard similar things from IBM. If for some reason it was determined that they could not go forward, it would still be nice to hear from ESRI directly. It's not very respectful to your customers to just cancel a product without any reason or alternatives given.

Is anyone from ESRI actually reading this?

0 Kudos
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

In late January, the IBM Cognos product team informed Esri that they have neither a 2017 timetable nor a list of functional improvements to update their Cognos v11 API. This news represented a critical change in IBM’s development plan with respect to moving Esri Maps for Cognos to Cognos v11.  Working with the Cognos product team all through Fall 2016, including a face-to-face engineering meeting at IBM in November and providing a very detailed gap analysis of v10/v11 API functionality, we were assured that Esri’s need for a v11 API improvement and update was their top, most urgent priority. Based on these assurances, Esri assumed we would see an updated API in January.  When we reached out again, the IBM Cognos product team gave us their unfortunate news.

As a result, Esri has no path forward to develop our product and move it to Cognos v11 and beyond. Without any further options, Esri has moved our product, Esri Maps for Cognos (EM4C), to ‘Mature’ Support. What this means for our users is that we will provide technical support for our EM4C customers on Cognos v 10.2.2 for two more years.  However, there will be no future releases or patches and defect or enhancements addressed. On January 31, 2019 we will ‘retire’ EM4C from official support.

This does not mean EM4C or our support for your work on Esri technology goes away. EM4C on Cognos v10.2 remains the most functional geospatial extension to Cognos on the market today and for the foreseeable future (IBM has told us of no plans to try and reproduce its spatial analytics capabilities).  We will continue to support you very strongly and encourage you to keep using EM4C.   We want to provide more assistance with things like deepening your understanding of all the capabilities of EM4C today, and understanding what our ArcGIS platform has to offer including our new web product 'Insights for ArcGIS.

You are not alone: Esri has many critical customers like you we will support going forward to fully leverage your investment in us. Please ask questions anytime. We know several customers who are also taking their comments and questions directly to IBM. We remain connected to the Cognos product team for any updates they might provide.

JeroenVaes
New Contributor II

If anyone is still looking for a solution for this: it is possible to get the current version of Esri Maps for Cognos to work in Cognos Analytics since release 7. Instructions are here: Install and Configure EM4C for #Cognos Analytics – IBM Analytics Communities . According to IBM, they will try to keep it working for as long as they can (or want to), but it's all unsupported. Some features do not work, but it seems pretty minor. Haven't tried it yet though. It seems a bit of a risk but if this is a blocker for an upgrade to v11 this should buy you some time.

Which makes me wonder: if IBM can get the current version to work (more or less), why can't we have an official supported version? The gap in API requirements seems pretty minor if they can get it to work as is.

0 Kudos
RoderickRoss
New Contributor II

Cognos 11 ( Analytics) integration to ESRI - from a recent IBM Cloud University presentation Oct 2017 by a senior product manager in IBM Cognos the following comments were made

• EM4C provides Esri integration in Cognos 10.x reports
• EM4C does not support Cognos Analytics
• Esri customers need an alternate solution
• Integeo integrates Esri assets into Cognos Analytics reports
• Contact Integeo for more information
• America's - Paul Hulford - paul.hulford@integeo.ca
• Europe - David Thomas - davidt@integeo.com
• AsiaPac - Roderick Ross - rodr@integeo.com
Integeo Demo Centre - http://demo.integeo.ca/

0 Kudos
Ganael_Jatteau
New Contributor II

Another proven solution is Galigeo Location Analytics for IBM Cognos that supports any version of Esri ArcGIS Server 10.x and IBM Cognos from 10.x to 11.x.

You can find more information here:

What's new in the last release of June 2018

Product page of Galigeo maps for Cognos

https://sway.com/ctvCddmSYACHyKjsFree trial of Galigeo for Cognos Analytics 11

Any question at contact@galigeo.com 

0 Kudos