How to add data to new Field?

05-03-2017 04:59 PM
NancyGilmore
New Contributor

New to this and have trial of ARCGISPRO.  I have a table and I added a new field. I now want to copy about 2000 data points from excel and paste in that field.  I can get it to paste ONE, but not the entire column.  Any help?  Thank you.  ARCGIS newbie  😉 excel field table editing import fields

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they have a common id field, then you should be doing a 'join' to simplify the operation.

NancyGilmore
New Contributor

I'm sorry but could you elaborate.  I do know how to JOIN, but if I have an excel file with the field (common field to the table in GIS) then what is the operation?  THANKS!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
NancyGilmore
New Contributor

thank u

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Another option, if you want to add the columns permanently

Join Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

As Dan mentioned, do the excel-to-table first, and I would use the add-join (or Add Relate ) to test the results (both which can be temporary, or at least do not permanently/physically add the fields), but then if you want it permanently added to you table, use the Join Field to add the columns to the in_data....you can also filter for just the columns you want.  The in_field and join_field do not have to be the same name, but do need to have equal values (which is why testing first is helpful.

JoinField_management (in_data, in_field, join_table, join_field, {fields})

If the columns do not add correctly or you get too many fields added, you can always use Delete Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Keep in mind that if you add fields, and there is already a field with that name, the new fields will get a _1 added to the new fieldname (at least in Desktop...assuming same in Pro)

Just some options...but I would go with Dan's suggestion first.

NancyGilmore
New Contributor

thank you both - i will give this a try.

0 Kudos