Can I still use a cad file as an overlay like in arcmap?

Jump to solution
05-04-2017 06:52 AM
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II

I drop georeferenced cad drawing files into arcmap but in pro it creates features now, is there a way just to bring a cad file in without creating all the new features and have it just as an overlay? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Don,

It is annoying when that happens, especially when it is really irrelevant data that should not be on its own layer. Like Jayanta said, the best way to handle it is to bring them in individually, unfortunately. However, there are times when it is really nice that CAD data is completely separated - it all depends on what you need to do. I hope Pro 2.0 is 'smarter' about the CAD data since more-often-than-not, it is too slow since it has to load so many layers and doesn't work half the time.....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked CAD Data in ArcGIS Pro?

Try adding the CAD components (Annotation, Points, Lines, Polygons) individually.

Think Location
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Don,

It is annoying when that happens, especially when it is really irrelevant data that should not be on its own layer. Like Jayanta said, the best way to handle it is to bring them in individually, unfortunately. However, there are times when it is really nice that CAD data is completely separated - it all depends on what you need to do. I hope Pro 2.0 is 'smarter' about the CAD data since more-often-than-not, it is too slow since it has to load so many layers and doesn't work half the time.....

0 Kudos
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II

Yeah, hopefully 2.0 will let you have more options, I don't want to bring in all the entities in a cad file as feature layers.

ArcGIS Pro is a step in the right direction but not there yet for my work flow.

0 Kudos