Missing Geographic NAD83 coordinate system !?

05-04-2017 02:09 PM
NathanWhitling
New Contributor

I have a file with about 15 locations that I want to import. I believe the coordinate system should be NAD83, but it does not show up under geographic coordinate systems when i import and try to define the system. The locations are in 101 Mile House, Canada. I attached one location and a screenshot example of my issue. I'm still pretty new to arc ! Thank you !

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

access either through data frame properties, define projection or project tool... NAD means North American datum... now which one?  gps data you say? probably doesn't matter much... but I would be surprised if your gps was set to NAD83... that would require an effort, since most gps units defaults to a WGS84 datum

NathanWhitling
New Contributor

The issue is there are no North American Geographic Coordinate systems predefined in my arc. If you look at the screen shot in the bottom right you can see that there are no options for North America. Same goes for when I try to set the coordinate system for the data frame..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is the web  projection listed in the first figure to the left for?  

Also, spreadsheet the longitudes aren't negative

Well X y
1 51.665191 121.292875

They aren't in Canada... try it again with -121.29.... maybe ArcMap is trying to be helpful by ruling out North America as an option

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Also try to use windows search, perhaps your folder ( North America) drag inside other folder.

If so, drag the folder to correct path.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In recent versions of arcmap there is no folder containing the projection information... it is generated

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

thank you for this information Dan. But , If you look at the snapshot that attached in the question you will see the folders.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They aren't folders you can 'see' with file explorer in windows, they are accessed through the dialog as shown in my post.  Version 10.5 of arcmap