UPDM Setting Up Geometric Network

Jump to solution
05-09-2017 11:53 AM
deleted-user-amp86F9KgPL3
New Contributor III

I am looking for anyone with experience with the UPDM model and configuring a Geometric Network with this data. We are getting prepared for the utility network and want to get the connectivity issues resolved before the release. My big concern is we utilize domains heavily over subtypes. From my reading, this is an issue. . . 

Question / Curious

Connectivity Rules, what would be the best practice from getting a rule set up stating a meter setting point must connect to a service line, and the service line must connect to a main with a tapping T at the junction? I am no opposed to overhauling our data for the subtype environment but I am not willing to do it unless I am 100% sure that it is the proper solution. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Jack and Travis,

To Travis's question, I would not recommend that you redo your gas data model just to better support connectivity rules in the Geometric Network.  If you goal is to "clean-up" your data in preparation of the end of year release of the Network Management tools (formerly called Utility Network), than I would suggest you focus your efforts on deploying the Data Reviewer extension.  These tools not only identify inconsistencies in your data, they also document those issues so you have a list from which to begin cleaning up your data.

To Jack's question. The UPDM is designed to support both Network Topology (ie. Geometric Network) and linear referencing (ie. ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing).  There are multiple options on how to configure these two technologies, as well as multiple workflows to maintain these two approaches to data entry/data management.  There is ongoing efforts within Esri to improve the capabilities of these two technologies to work in a more streamlined workflow.  These efforts are focused around the ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing solution and the upcoming Network Management tools (formerly called Utility Network).

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc, Technical Lead - Natural Gas Industry

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JackVan_Schenck
New Contributor

Travis,

Have you received any information from ESRI on this?  Following DevSummit this year, our rep told us they were targeting June of this year to integrate the dynamic segmentation (a.k.a., linear referencing) aspects of UPDM with geometric networks, but I have no idea what the data requirements are or how to get past the classic limitations of not being able to have route and "network dataset" data participating in a geometric network and vice-versa.

Jack

0 Kudos
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Jack and Travis,

To Travis's question, I would not recommend that you redo your gas data model just to better support connectivity rules in the Geometric Network.  If you goal is to "clean-up" your data in preparation of the end of year release of the Network Management tools (formerly called Utility Network), than I would suggest you focus your efforts on deploying the Data Reviewer extension.  These tools not only identify inconsistencies in your data, they also document those issues so you have a list from which to begin cleaning up your data.

To Jack's question. The UPDM is designed to support both Network Topology (ie. Geometric Network) and linear referencing (ie. ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing).  There are multiple options on how to configure these two technologies, as well as multiple workflows to maintain these two approaches to data entry/data management.  There is ongoing efforts within Esri to improve the capabilities of these two technologies to work in a more streamlined workflow.  These efforts are focused around the ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing solution and the upcoming Network Management tools (formerly called Utility Network).

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc, Technical Lead - Natural Gas Industry

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In addition to Tom's valuable answers, I would like to share some links:

• To get more info on ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing: ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing | Overview 
  • The UPDM modelo was updated earlier this year to enable support for ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing (see change log in Utility and Pipeline Data Model | ArcGIS for Gas )
  • Regarding connectivity rules, there is a new Network Management system and the utility network being developed as we speak. I would recommend you to read the white paper available here: Esri Utility Network Pro and learn about what is coming soon. To be ready for this big enhancement, the recommendation is not to personalize the UPDM more than is necessary to allow an easier migration towards this new utility network model and being able to leverage the benefits the Network Management system wil offer.