Does anyone have a CAD Layering standard for input into the Parcel Fabric?

05-09-2017 11:47 AM
JeffMcReynolds1
New Contributor II

We are in the process of migrating our data to the Parcel Fabric model.  For future data entry, we would like to require CAD files instead of re-drafting\cogo'ing each line segment for future subdivisions and development.  I'm looking to see if anyone has developed a CAD Layering Standard and/or any custom tools that allow for scripted checks into the staging geodatabase, and subsequent inclusion into the Parcel Fabric Model.

Any suggestions & recommendations?

bjones-esristaff‌ - please pass onto any other groups you can think of!

Thanks!

-jeff

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jeff:

Just have some questions about your environment:

Will you be loading your parcel based data into a SQL Server, Oracle, or other type of SDE database?

Do you have a ballpark idea of how many parcels will be in your initial parcel fabric before you start editing the fabric?

How far along into this endeavor are you?

0 Kudos
JeffMcReynolds1
New Contributor II

Michael,

We are a Microsoft SQL shop here.

We are currently maintaining around 110k parcels across City & County (we maintain both).

Lastly, we have been working on cleanup efforts for the last couple of years, and recently moved into the staging geodatabase(s) awaiting push into the fabric..

Our CAD efforts are independent of the migration, but am thinking of the next steps for editing in that environment!

Thanks!

-j

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Here is a thread from my organization on issues we are encountering with the parcel fabric.  My organization is mostly an Oracle shop so that architectural difference might work in your benefit to get decent performance when editing the parcel fabric:

https://community.esri.com/thread/193720-parcel-fabric-performance-issues 

0 Kudos
DaveMcMillan
New Contributor III

Please see the link below.

This is how the County of Riverside is handling CAD files and standards for migrating data into the parcel fabric.

See section 8.4

http://rctlma.org/Portals/7/documents/Map%20Prep%20Manual/8-Map%20Checking%20Procedures.pdf

I will also be presenting this tool at the Esri Conference down in San Diego this year.

Our tool is called CATCH (County Automated Terrestrial CAD Helper) automation tool.

My Masters Thesis is below.

"Creating an Automation Tool for Checking Data Integrity of CAD Files" by David L. McMillan 

Thanks,

Dave

deleted-user-qSBucAQszJ_6
New Contributor III

Hey Dave,

Do you know what your session is called and what your presentation time is? I would love to come see how you do this!

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

We haven't tried to make an automated workflow to import CAD files we receive from various entities just because the drawings we were getting varied widely in how much clean up was necessary. That's just been my experience though - if the drawings you get are mostly uniform, then best of luck to you and please share what you find out!

0 Kudos
DaveMcMillan
New Contributor III

We standardized the work flow and set some standards for CAD layering and I created the python script to check the CAD files based on the 6 topology rules and other criteria for the parcel fabric.

0 Kudos