Create a unique field

Jump to solution
05-11-2017 01:29 AM
HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Hello, I want to create a unique field which will have concatenated value of "OBJECTID"  & "AREA_CODE" (user defined field).  Using field calculator I can calculate the field for existing records but I want the same formula to be applied for new features getting created. We are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3, Oracle : 12.1.0.2 and storage type: SDE.ST_GEOMETRY. Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you want to implement a trigger in your database to fill the values of the field: Using Triggers 

For now in ArcGIS you could use a script that will run periodically to fill the field with the concatenation. Expect later this year to be able to use "Calculation expressions" based on ArcGIS Arcade | ArcGIS for Developers which is being implemented for the new Esri Utility Network Pro, and which will allow you to define an expression to fill the content of a field dynamically. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
XanderBakker

Sounds like you want to implement a trigger in your database to fill the values of the field: Using Triggers 

For now in ArcGIS you could use a script that will run periodically to fill the field with the concatenation. Expect later this year to be able to use "Calculation expressions" based on ArcGIS Arcade | ArcGIS for Developers which is being implemented for the new Esri Utility Network Pro, and which will allow you to define an expression to fill the content of a field dynamically. 

XanderBakker

In addition to the options mentioned above, you might want to have a look at the field-trigger in the Attribute Assistant: All methods - Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

HiteshJilka
New Contributor III

Xander, thanks for sharing your knowledge  on Attribute Assistant, it has great functions. Only drawback I feel is that it has to be installed on each arcgis desktop machine and users have control to turn on or off. Henceforth, I will work on database triggers... thanks!

0 Kudos