comparing two rasters

05-11-2017 05:39 PM
RaySirois
New Contributor

I have two raster files that I want to compare spatially. One file was created using kernel spatial analysis of all points in a specific area and the other had the same analysis but of points where an event occurred. I am trying to look to see if population density plays a role and to spot the specific areas that do. Can anyone suggest the best way to analyze this data to get that type of result

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

an image of the files would help.  Can it be assumes they are for the same extent and cell size?  There are many ways to 'compare' results, beginning with simple subtraction, but that would be too easy

0 Kudos
RaySirois
New Contributor

the images were created using kernel density analysis. the are of the same extent.

0 Kudos
RaySirois
New Contributor

I am new to raster spatial analysis and any help or guidance you could provide in this area would be greatly appreciated. I tried the subtraction and I felt like it wasn't showing what I wanted to see. what other tools would you suggest

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

by images... I meant a screengrab .... sorry

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Minus displays the difference between two rasters cell by cell -- so I would start with that, and visually compare that with pop density using the swipe tool.   Is there something wrong with your Minus result?

The Raster Calculator tool allows you get fancier, for example to get percent differences you can try:

100 * (raster2 - raster1) / raster1
0 Kudos