DEM to Raster - USGS?

05-15-2017 08:09 AM
JessicaSchmid
New Contributor

Hi everyone. I really need your help!

I'm currently working with AdamTech 3DM Analyst, CH 1903 coordinates. Within the programme I can produce a DEM and save it, but afterward there is an error using DEM-to-raster tool in ArcMap. I think it is because of the USGS DEM... Do you have an idea how it should work? Or how to convert my DEM to an USGS DEM?
I attached you a screenshot containing the error.

Many many thanks for all your help.

Send you kind regards and a big thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try a much smaller output grid name

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I think Dan Patterson  is right in that the file name is too long. In the raster world shorter is better for filenames.

Also, it looks like there is a space in the path.  Spatial processes sometimes choke when there is a space anywhere in the file path or in a file name.  Try renaming the folder with the space.  For example, use an underscore between BA and Projekt.

F:\Jessie\BA _Projekt\....

Also, in general, I'd avoid using the Default Geodatabase for raster processing.   Instead, set up an output geodatabase specifically for your project.  This way you know the Environment Settings and such will be appropriate.

Chris Donohue, GISP

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I recommend not storing any output in C:\Users\* folder. Store the data in any other drive (say F:\ drive). You could also try storing the output Raster in a basic folder in TIFF format (*.tif).

Think Location
JessicaSchmid
New Contributor

Hi everyone.

Thank you all very much for your help. Unfortunately, it still does not work.
There is still the same error. Is there maybe another bug in it? And what is special about an USGS DEM?
Thank you very much again for your replies and thoughts.

Brgds, Jessica

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you reverting with the results.

Is the Background Processing enabled? Disable the Background Processing, and try again.

Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options > Uncheck "Enable Background Processing"

Foreground and background processing—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
JessicaSchmid
New Contributor

You were right. I changed now to unchecked. But the error stays.. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

perhaps it is not a usgs dem format.  Can you identify the section in the software's manual what raster formats are used and whether they need conversion in the first place, and/or the available formats that are available for export or saving.