Maximum number of questions in a single survey

05-15-2017 11:01 AM
AntónioMartins
New Contributor II

Hello,

Can you tell me the maximum number of questions a single survey can have? and by the way is there somewhere where that limitation is identified? If so could you send the link to it?

Thanks.

Best regards,

António Martins

8 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi António,

We don't directly document it in the Survey123 website, but the number of questions is limited by the total number of fields that can be stored in an ArcGIS Online table (or your Data Store's if using Portal for ArcGIS).  That limit is 500.  Questions above that number can be added by creating a repeat section that has a repeat_count of 1 - this effectively extends the survey across multiple tables.

DeenaBowman
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Is there a max number of repeats supported in Survey123?  Additionally, are there any limits to how many of these tables can be exported to CSV, and is here a particular impact to performance for the export?

Thanks...Deena

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Deena,

There isn't a max number of repeats.  They all should be exported when you request a CSV, though you would then need to stitch them together based on the relationship ids.  The impact on export should be linear - we're essentially adding another table to process.

DeenaBowman
Occasional Contributor

thx for the quick reply James!

0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

I wonder is there a way that a question can only stay in memory and not as a stored value. I'm using a question to calculate points or to score and I have about 2,000 questions that all I'm doing is accumulating a point for every question that's been checked. This is for a QC project that checks every field of 60 tables. A point is an error. And the accumulator is used to subtract from the perfect score. I'm only concerned with the points accumulated on the 60 tables.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Renato,

Funny you should ask about that- we have implemented a configuration parameter to mark a question as one to not submit data back to the service in 2.4; expect a beta version soon.

RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

James Tedrick‌,  that's good news.

I did figure out a workaround to the 500 questions limit for my survey. I made the question for each attribute into a select multiple question inside a repeat, then use the count-selected function. So instead of number of attributes per feature; it becomes a feature score. It is unlikely that there would be more 400 features in any given job. 

0 Kudos
JenniferLaws
Esri Contributor

I think this might be what you're looking for.

See How to pass a value to Survey123 but not submit it to the Feature Service  regarding setting bind::esri:fieldType to null.

0 Kudos