I am trying to create a series of thematic maps in AGOL for using as Web app

05-17-2017 09:22 AM
KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to create a series of thematic maps from a single feature layer (contains multiple attributes) but I am having trouble figuring out the best way to do this. I want to use the thematic layers in WAB so need configurable pop-ups. One of the data sets is very large (50000 polygons) so I tried the vector tile but this didn't allow a pop-up. Even creating a hosted layer then a tile layer didn't work (data wasn't visible) and needs way too many tiles (too many credits). Originally I was creating each thematic variable separately in Desktop/Pro and associated visibility scale range, then loading up a service to show them but this seems inefficient. Can I set everything up within AGOL from the uploaded original feature layer, create the thematic there and alter visibility scale? Is that the best way to do it? Any suggestions appreciated.. Thanks. Kieran

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Check out this blog, especially tips 2 and 4:

Best Practices for using Tile Layers as Operational Layers | ArcGIS Blog 

Only create the tiles at a small scale where you need to draw all of the polygons at once, and use scale visibility to then use the feature layer at larger scales.

-Kelly

KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly,

I won't want to draw that large amount of polygons at such a small scale, so I think I will just use scale dependency to switch between my thematic layers. I have 3 feature layers, each with 10 thematic attributes, so I need to have 30 layers set up.

From what you've said this sounds like is best done within AGOL itself (rather than Pro/desktop) so I'll try it that way unless I hear of better suggestions.

Thanks

Kieran

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kieran Smith‌,

If you are looking to just symbolize your layers differently, consider using view layers to modify the symbology. This will create a different endpoint that is pointing to the same hosted data: Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

I'd suggest creating the data in ArcGIS Online and styling the layers if you are looking to reuse the layer to show different visualizations.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly

I have already created multiple layers within my map just by creating copies of it within the map and symbolising them accordingly, so perhaps it's too late now. I did create a view but to me that will only clog up my Contents list with all the different views (30+) and I didn't really see any other benefit. Did I miss something with regard to any other benefits?

Kieran

0 Kudos