calculate geometry

05-17-2017 05:38 PM
PeterSmith3
New Contributor III

In ArcMap you can calculate a geometry value using either the PCS of the dataset or, alternatively, using the PCS of the data frame. Is there any way to do something similar with ArcGIS Pro?

I can calculate a field value using !shape.area@hectares! or !shape.length@meters!. But, as the data is hosted in ArcGIS Online, the calculations are done using Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere. WMAS isn't any good for calculating accurate geometry values, and I don't want to have to download and reproject just to get accurate values.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

add-geometry-attributes The last parameter allows for a different coordinate system.  As a side note, the procedures between arcmap and pro aren't going to match exactly, there is a strong focus on using tools in arctoolbox.

0 Kudos
PeterSmith3
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. Do you know if this tool works with hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online? I was under the impression that it wasn't straightforward to alter online schemas.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry Peter... I don't do the online thing, so I will flag KGerrow-esristaff‌ would will most likely know.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Peter,

What is the actual projection of your dataset?

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
PeterSmith3
New Contributor III

Hi Shan,

The dataset projection is WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere, WKID 3857

0 Kudos