How can i creat an interractive map for my organization?

05-19-2017 03:00 AM
tayebwagilbert1
New Contributor

Hello good people,kindly enlighten me how i can make an interactive map such as the one in this link(TNC Priority Areas ).Do i need to have coding skills? what trainings do i need to begin with?Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you currently using any ArcGIS software (Desktop/Server)?

You could explore ArcGIS Online (author in ArcMap/Pro).

Get a 60 days free trial of ArcGIS (includes ArcMap/Pro/Online)

Get Started with Maps

Create Apps from Maps

Get Started with ArcGIS Online - Tutorial Video

Think Location
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tayebwa,

This article describes the different options to deploy interactive web apps using ArcGIS Online, without having to do any programming.

DIY Apps from Esri Make App Building Easy | ArcNews 

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Just to let you know, I was not able to open the tnc site on an iPad because it requires Flash, which is not supported on many newer devices.  Because you do not want to code, you would want to avoid that anyway.  So Derek's and Jayanta's suggestions about using one of the application builders or story map app thru ArcGIS Online are your best bet if you do not want to code at all.  

You may want to look thru the various "ready-to-use"  ArcGIS Solutions   There are many examples for a wide variety of industries and organizations, and one might by what you are looking for.

If you decide you want a little more and don't mind doing a little more coding or configuring, sign up for a free developer account at ArcGIS for Developers       You don't need to be a developer to sign up and check it out.  This gives you access to samples and other configurable apps such as Web AppBuilder (WAB)developer edition. The develop edition of WAB is very similar to the online version but gives you just a little more flexibility to use custom "widgets" that many in the community have already written, so no coding is needed in most cases, just copying the widget to the correct folder and configuring it thru a fairly user friendly interface.  To see some of the available custom widgets, check out on of my blogs /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2017/03/04/web-appbuilder-the-custom-widgets-list-332017?sr=search&searchId=6aeff...‌   

One suggestion, if you do decide that a little coding is ok, I suggest using JavaScript.

edit: I noticed Derek didn't include Use Web AppBuilder to create configurable app templates | ArcGIS Blog  in his response do added it here.