point spatial analysis

05-18-2017 11:33 AM
MelisaEnnella1
New Contributor II

I have a dataset of points that represent every home in a specific area. There are two fields I want to use to determine a spatial significant area. One field represents if the home had a leak (1) or no leak (0). I have another field that has number of leaks (ranging 1 to 100) or zero if there were no leaks. I am trying to find the best way to find the spatial significant locations of leaks. What type of analysis would you recommend? THanks of your help

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could try Optimized Hot Spot Analysis with the field that has number of leaks as the Analysis Field.

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

for analysis... normally I would say a cluster analysis, but the houses aren't free to locate in space.. Can you show an image of the spatial arrangement? associating the points to polygons (ie lots) could give rise to some other options.  I would begin with symbolizing the map first perhaps using a graduated symbol to represent (somehow) the spatial variations in the leaks.

MelisaEnnella1
New Contributor II

I have been running the hot spot analysis and I have read the documentation on the fixed distance band but I am having trouble wrapping my head around what that figure really means. If I could understand that a little better I would be able to change that number to see how it affects my analysis. Is there anyway that you could help clarify that for me? Also, with this type of data points what do you think the best conceptualization of spatial relationship I should run? I was running the fixed distance band. There are approximately 10,000 datapoints. thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I would recommend you take a look at this video from the 2014 or 2015 Esri UC entitled "Spatial Data Mining A Deep Dive into Cluster Analysis". It discusses Hot Spot analysis in detail. 

Video can be viewed here: Spatial Data Mining A Deep Dive into Cluster Analysis 

MelisaEnnella1
New Contributor II

the video was extremely helpful. Thank you!

0 Kudos