Build or update web app by switching out maps? Rather than reconfigure web app

05-18-2017 12:35 PM
KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to build web apps in WAB using my Arcgis Online web maps. Is there an easy way to switch either one web map out for another one (rather than creating new) or using a web map but not having to configure a new web app from scratch? I won't want to have to configure the web map again if using an existing web app and I don't want to have to reconfigure the web app using an existing web map. It seems like I will have to start from scratch one way or another.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kieran,

> Is there an easy way to switch either one web map out for another one (rather than creating new) or using a web map but not having to configure a new web app from scratch? 

This will really depend on the type of functionality you've enabled in the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS web app. For example, for widgets such as the Basemap Gallery, Draw, and Extent Navigate, changing the web map should not be an issue. But for widgets that have more specific configuration(s), such as the Query widget and set it for specific layers in a specific web map, then switching out the web map for another may not work. So it depends on the widgets used in the web app.

With the above in mind, you can create web app 1 in Web AppBuilder based on web map A and save it. Then change to web map B (Map tab > Choose Web Map), then at the bottom of the Map tab, choose Save As and save as a web app 2. See attached graphic for more details.

Another approach is to configure the web app you want in Web AppBuilder, then export the configuration as a template. For more details, please see this blog,

Use Web AppBuilder to create configurable app templates | ArcGIS Blog 

Hope this helps,

KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Derek

Appreciate the reply and advice. What I think I miss here is how the template and WAB operated through my AGOL site (such as configuring through the apps listed in My Content) versus how to configure an app using 'WAB for ArcGIS'. The only way I was able to get this to work was by launching WABforArcGIS and then using 'import from my account' to bring that into my list and then try to edit/configure from there. 

My apps are configured with queries and filters so they are something I want to keep but then also trying to configure pop-ups etc within the map is time-consuming.

I can't say I understand the process fully yet but you've pointed me in the right direction, so thanks for that.

Kieran 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kieran,

> What I think I miss here is how the template and WAB operated through my AGOL site (such as configuring through the apps listed in My Content) versus how to configure an app using 'WAB for ArcGIS'.

By this statement, are you comparing using 'Web AppBuilder embedded within ArcGIS Online' versus using 'Web AppBuilder Developer Edition' and how templates work with each?

In 'Web AppBuilder embedded within ArcGIS Online', all apps and templates that you create are stored and hosted in your ArcGIS Online organization, in your My Content space. You can optionally decide to download these onto your own machine and host them on your own web server.

In 'Web AppBuilder Developer Edition', all apps and templates that you create are stored locally on the machine that 'Web AppBuilder Developer Edition' is installed on. Also, you can import templates into 'Web AppBuilder Developer Edition'. Templates created with 'Web AppBuilder Developer Edition' can be used in an ArcGIS Online organization - but you would host the template on your own web server.

Hope this helps,

KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Derek, I think you have it right. Two ways of going about it and I'm trying to figure out which is the best option. 

0 Kudos