Digital Elevation Model issues

Jump to solution
05-18-2017 07:52 PM
MeldebekovaGauhar
New Contributor II

I have a DEM for a river basin in Central Asia from Hydrosheds.com (SRTM 30 arc sec resolution). However my professor says that something is wrong with the model (particularly that cyan color part in the picture below). I am new to GIS and  can't figure out how to resolve it. (high elevation parts (brown) are mountains and cyan is steppe/dessert)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From your map there is nothing obviously wrong with the DEM, assuming the steppe area is very flat compared to the mountains (which one would expect). 

There are other stretches or classifications you can apply to see more detail in the flat parts of the DEM. Here's some info from the help that may help you display more detail on your map:

Drawing thematic raster datasets representing continuous data—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

question... are the elevations representative of this area?  currently there is no way for others to check.

Also, where is the drainage information for this region?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From your map there is nothing obviously wrong with the DEM, assuming the steppe area is very flat compared to the mountains (which one would expect). 

There are other stretches or classifications you can apply to see more detail in the flat parts of the DEM. Here's some info from the help that may help you display more detail on your map:

Drawing thematic raster datasets representing continuous data—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

MeldebekovaGauhar
New Contributor II

Thank You for your very helpful input, it worked!:) 

0 Kudos