Engine crashes as I try and open a rule file that I made.

05-20-2017 07:31 AM
KushanDave
New Contributor

Hi,

So I made a CE rule file that I started in CE 2016.0 and eventually finished in CE 2016.1, which has several other rule files nested within it. It was working perfectly until it CE crashed (for the first time) yesterday. Now when I open CE and click on the rule (not even apply it to shapes), CE just shuts down without giving any error messages. I can edit / make/ use all the other rule files except this. 

The rule does open up in CE 2016.0 safe mode, and although everything is perfectly nested and linked, I cant seem to apply it.

Any thoughts ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have moved this to CityEngine‌ to give you a chance on getting this answered... GeoNet Help is for getting help on how to use GeoNet ... this document might help you navigate around

0 Kudos
KushanDave
New Contributor

Quick update :

I could open up the rule in 2016.0, although I still couldn't use the rule - my guess is that there were a lot of nested objects and there was something wrong with one of them

I had to delete some of the 'nested' objects and delete .CityEngine folder to be able to open it in 2016.1

Does that mean 2016.0 is more stable  ?

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the report.

Actually it is the other way around - 2016.1 does contain may Bugfixes. CGA Changelog 

I'm not quite sure if the issue has been resolved.

If not, please try to delete the files in the /project/bin folder. This will recompile the binaries (*.cgb).

Can you generate a RPK from your rule?

0 Kudos
KushanDave
New Contributor

Thanks Thomas, 

Like I mentioned, I had to recreate some of the rule files and while that worked, I keep getting this error in my workspace log (although the rules does not show any red/yellow error highlights ). Any tips ?

getRuleFileInfo() for 'file:/C:/Users/..../MasterRuleFile.cgb' failed (error 1 - 'Unspecified error.') - [main]

This seems to happen randomly. Like for instance, I just added a rotate attribute and linked to the a particular geometry in my rule and this rule popped up. 

0 Kudos
MarekDekys
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem with getRuleFileInfo() error with no further information available and this happens in newer versions as well (CE 2018.0,2018.1)

This is probably because the rules are too complex and/or because of lots of linked rule files - I can confirm this, because when I turn off some parts of the code (by commenting), the other part always runs without problem

I don't know about any workaround for this. The only way that works for me is to have less complex (less advanced) rules in order to to be able to use these rules at all - but this greatly sacrifices visual quality/functionality required by our customers (and also because I spent tons of hours by making the cities nearly photorealistic and now, I only can use a portion of this)

I would appreciate if somebody could give me a clue on which commands are more likely to cause this issue.

0 Kudos
MarekDekys
New Contributor III

I confirm that this issue still persists on 2019.0 and 2019.1 beta

0 Kudos