Once you federate your Enterprise Server to Portal, do you access your own REST Services with a URL to Portal?

Jump to solution
05-22-2017 08:59 AM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III

When you federate the server to the Portal, it copies your rest services into Portal. Do you access your own REST Services with a URL to Portal? Or does your URL to the Enterprise Server still work in your Flex Viewers?

Thanks,
Janie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You should be able to access the REST directory using the ArcGIS Enterprise URL, but the credentials would be used from users of Portal for ArcGIS.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You should be able to access the REST directory using the ArcGIS Enterprise URL, but the credentials would be used from users of Portal for ArcGIS.

Think Location
JanieGoddard

Thanks Jayanta,

I was worried my Flex Viewers would all not find their data, when I run the Enterprise Federation to Portal. This is good news.

Thanks,

Janie 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Janie,

> When you federate the server to the Portal, it copies your rest services into Portal.

This statement is not quite correct. After you federate your GIS Server with Portal for ArcGIS, its web services are automatically registered with Portal. They are NOT copied to Portal. When they are registered, there are now discoverable in Portal and can be easily found. 

Now you have the option to access the GIS Server's web services via their REST endpoints (as you would before you federated with Portal via the Services Directory) or by accessing their individual Item Details pages in Portal. Keep in mind, by default - after you federate the GIS Server, its web services are still public - but permission access could be changed later on.

Hope this helps,

JanieGoddard

Hi Derek,

Thanks. This makes more sense to me now. I'm thrilled my Flex Viewers won't all break at the moment I Federate. Wonderful! I so appreciate all your help!
Thanks,

Janie

0 Kudos