IDW interpolation method

05-22-2017 10:55 AM
DanielFernandez_Perez
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm doing my end-of-degree about geostatistical interpolation. I'm using IDW to interpolate some  Soil Moisture data from a surface. The  thing is, that I'm looking for one single value for the whole area I'm interpolating (because I need to compare it with the soil  moisture mesaured in the whole area by satellite). I don't know which parameter I should vary to accomplish that aim.

Thanks in advance for the help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not sure why you would be doing interpolation.  A Thiessen polygon (aka a Voronoi Diagram) could be used to apportion the space into discrete areas based on point location and weighted accordingly.  Having an image of the locations you have might be useful to facilitate other options.

0 Kudos
DanielFernandez_Perez
New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for advice. The aim of the project is to test some methods to interpolate the SM to get to know if the classical mean is cost-effective. I got the grid showwnMy points

And when I try to use IDW,  I always get things like that:

Which I know is the common thing. But, what I need, is to get, one single value. I tried to change  the  Z resolution, but it seems that it doesn't listen to me.

I don't know what to do. 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, I stand by my suggestion of methodology.

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are seeking a single value, why are you interpolating a surface? Could you simply get statistics on the selected point data, and then choose which statistic you wish to use (ie: mean value)?

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos