Windows 10 SDE Connection Error

05-23-2017 12:14 PM
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

One of our users workstation was recently upgraded to Windows 10.  They are using ArcGIS Desktop Basic 10.3.1.  When they attempted to create a connection SDE (SQL), they received an error message, which is attached.

Any ideas on what we need to install on their workstation to fix the SQL issue? They were able to connect with their previous Windows 7 machine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you install the native SQL client?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the error message is quite explanatory, i.e., you have an older SQL Server client on the machine that is being used by the application, and that older SQL Server client isn't compatible with the version of SQL Server you are trying to connect to.

If you go into the Programs list, what SQL Server client is listed?

0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same issue as Patrick McKinney. When I try to run the program that installs the newer version, sqlncli.msi, I get a message that says it is not supported.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What version are you trying to install of the SQL Native Client?  What exactly is the error message?  What version of the client is currently installed?

0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor

My issue is resolved. I downloaded sqlncli.msi from Microsoft and it worked. I had been trying to use a program by the same name that I had downloaded sometime around 2014. I think that the older "version" may not work with Windows 10. That's my story, anyway. : )

#sqlncli.msi #sql native client#connectivity

0 Kudos