Story map thumbnail not shared on Facebook

Jump to solution
05-26-2017 07:44 AM
AshleyPeters
Occasional Contributor III

I am using the Map Journal layout for my Story Map. It is finished with a thumbnail, summary, tags, etc. When I share the story map from the My Stories page, the thumbnail does not display, though the summary does.  I have used the Facebook developer tool mentioned in other threads and fetched a new scrape multiple times, with no luck. All of the open graph tags are showing the info they should, but the share never includes the thumbnail image. This is happening when I use the share options from the My Stories page, or when I copy and past the story map link into Facebook.

I have downloaded the template for the Map Journal and have it hosted on my server. When I share that link, the thumbnail does pull in, but I don't know if that is because I have added the direct link to the photo on Flickr or not.

Any ideas how to solve this problem when sharing from My Stories? I have others in my organization having the same issue, so I would like to find the fix for this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share the URL of your story so we can take a look. Also, instead of "fetching" the data again from the developer tools, try sharing it a couple times. Sometimes Facebook will not share the thumbnail the first time after you scrape it. It may take a few minutes for Facebook to cache the thumbnail on their servers and they do not cache it until you share it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share the URL of your story so we can take a look. Also, instead of "fetching" the data again from the developer tools, try sharing it a couple times. Sometimes Facebook will not share the thumbnail the first time after you scrape it. It may take a few minutes for Facebook to cache the thumbnail on their servers and they do not cache it until you share it.

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

Hi Stephen,

I should have thought about including the link, sorry about that. Here it is:

https://aldcnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=f90b93473d5047928800d1e0b83b0aaa

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

I tried your suggestion about sharing it and that worked. Thanks Stephen!

0 Kudos