clipping raster data

06-01-2017 09:06 AM
KatherineGates
New Contributor

I have an aerial photo of Person County NC, then I have a Township boundary line layer. I am trying to clip the aerial photography of just on of the town ships. 

So far I have tried running a definition query to only show desired township then I went to Arc Toolbox- Data Management Tools - Raster - Raster Processing - and Clip.

Then the clip window opens I select the raster aerial photo as the Input Raster and The township boundary as the Output Extent.

When I run the Clip nothing seems to happen. 

Please help.

Thanks,

Katherine Gates 

Person County GIS Intern 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check the box "Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry" in Clip tool.

Think Location
KatherineGates
New Contributor

I tried that once before and it did not work but this time it has been

clipping for almost 30 mins.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

That's not unexpected - it can take quite a while to clip an aerial if it is a large size.  Though if it takes more than several hours, then one may have to decide whether the program crashed or not....

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
KatherineGates
New Contributor

Okay, the system has never taken this long so hopefully that is good news.

Thank you,

Katherine Gates.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also keep Background Processing (Geoprocessing Options) Disabled. Sometimes, it may cause delays/failures.

Think Location
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Katherine,

What is the uncompressed size of the SID you are attempting to clip?  You can check by right-clicking on the raster > Properties > Source tab.  Another option is to create a mosaic dataset from the SID image and apply a Clip function.  This takes less than a second to perform a clip compared to the Clip geoprocessing tool.