How Best to Preserve the Memory and Maps of your Community?

06-04-2017 10:39 AM
BonnieBracey-Sutton1
Occasional Contributor II

Since T3G I have fallen into the history of several topics and they are so fascinating that I have not completed a map. I live in SW Washington, DC and have for many years. I taught in Arlington, Va for 30 years. Over time my SW community was built and now is in new renewal stages. I thought I remembered the way it was until I found this.

http://www.dchistory.org/uploads/exhibits/Bulldozer-and-the-Rose.pdf   There is so much in the picture that I never

knew. I remembered the Fish Market mostly. We would go there in the summer.

I blogged about Alexandria, Virginia where I lived.The city was Colonial, and of George Washington's time.There is Black History information, as well there are scattered books that tell what the estates, or plantations , or grand homes used to be.The city has VisitAlexandriaVA.com Alexandria Va Hotels & Things to Do | Old Town Alexandria 

and the site says..".On the Potomac River within eyesight of Washington, DC, Alexandria, VA is nationally recognized for its rich history and beautifully preserved 18th- and 19th-century architecture - an extraordinary backdrop for acclaimed, chef-driven restaurants; a thriving boutique scene; vibrant arts and culture; and a welcoming, walkable lifestyle. Alexandria is the relaxed and refined home base for your DC vacation and an unforgettable getaway of its own. "There used to be a Wednesday tea at the Lee Mansion during the school year. in one of the Lee houses, John L. Lewis of the Coal Miners Union resided my friend's father was his chauffer. I did not see anything about the little houses that lined the alleys?Do you know how I could find out what they were? The whole city seems to have become gentrified. Did you know that their used to be a Polar Bear Custard stand just near the  entrance to the city?They were only there during the spring and summer. The Rolling Stones played at the Ice Skating Rink that used to be nearby. Any pictures anyone?

Arlington is easier because with the National Geographic I made a video of the county , and of the school. Indian? Four Mile Run.. Black? Halls Hiil and Johnson Hill....The school that I loved the most and where I taught was a dairy farm.and their used to be a hill that kids sledded down during winter snowstorms. Arlington is a place of history too.The Syphax family were descendants of Robert E.Lee's slaves.  I never knew that , never understood their acceptance in the Arlington Community as equals. Arlington too, defied the state and integrated their schools. I actually integrated an elementary school, ie. first Black teacher in a White school.

A Tale Of Two Virginias: When Arlington Defied The State And Integrated Its Public Schools : NPR One 

One way we keep Arlington memories alive is on Facebook. We post pictures of our favorites places and of our personal history, and of special events. Arlington's Internet face contains lots of geoinformation

https://www.arlingtonva.us . Explore.

How does your community tell its story, preserve its history, and map its progress?

0 Kudos
0 Replies