Adding Metadata to feature layers on SDE

06-06-2017 11:21 PM
SriHarsha
New Contributor III

Dear All, I am looking support on adding metadata to the feature layers which is stored in Enterprise Geodatabase (ArcSDE in MS SQL) by using web API, not with ArcGIS Desktop or Runtime applications. Is there any approach is available so that I can make us to implement  ISO 19115.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MirHashmi
Occasional Contributor

Sri,

There aren't any direct Api's exposed to edit metadata. However, this can be achieved through the low level ArcObjects.

Here are a few links to get you started on this task.

1. Create your own metadata editor

2. Programatically edit/update metadata in arcgis

3. Accessing metadata through arcobjects

Note: These updates will be applied on the database but it will not reflect on the published service.  

SriHarsha
New Contributor III

Dear Hashmi, after seeing your feed back I came to know that it is possible with ArcObjects. Is there any scope of third party API which can be used to update Metadata by online form fashion or else how best if we are going to implement  ESRI Geoportal to update non published feature layers/raster's  one Enterprise Geodatabase (ArcSDE in MS SQL) to update metadata and retrieve result in search criteria. In open source GeoNetwork will work with only published content of spatial data. my concerned is I have TB's of historical data without metadata structure now we are migrating in to new DB and trying to updated ISO 19115 standard in the fashion of online form by selecting file name on DB.

0 Kudos
MirHashmi
Occasional Contributor

Sri,

Good to know that this information helped you a bit.  I didn't find a ready made third party Api to update metadata in geodatabase. Although you can develop your own ArcObjects module that updates the metadata and then wrap this module in a web api to call it as a service from your application.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Although you might be able to implement something that allows you to add or update metadata through REST (might need something like a SOE to accomplish that, see About extending services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise ), I would like to point out that normally you would have added the metadata to the data before publishing the data. That would be best practice...

SriHarsha
New Contributor III

Dear Bakker, Thank you for letting me know about such approaches but in my case I am trying to add metadata for non publishing data means which means data resided in DB(ArcSDE) without appropriate metadata information. I would like to update metadata by form fashion instead of using ArcGIS Desktop application. 

0 Kudos
MirHashmi
Occasional Contributor

Sri, If you have tried with ArcObjects and wrapper service, please share your results. Thanks.

0 Kudos