Is it possible to get R-bridge to work without R and ArcGIS physically installed on the same location?

Jump to solution
06-09-2017 04:20 AM
WimBergkamp
New Contributor II

In our organization we have ArcGIS and R available but on different servers. We don't want to change this, but we want to make use of R-bridge. Is it possible to get R-bridge to work without these applications being installed on the same servers? As far as I saw, I couldnt find an answer on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Wim,

At this time, this isn't possible. The R-ArcGIS bridge communicates to both environments on the same machine, and there isn't a current mechanism to share information across multiple machines. If you can access the data you need as REST endpoints, you can use that information in R, albeit without the richer integration of the bridge. If you can describe a little more what you're trying to accomplish and what precludes R from being installed in the ArcGIS environment, I'd be happy to look at this with you in more detail.

Cheers, Shaun

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Wim,

At this time, this isn't possible. The R-ArcGIS bridge communicates to both environments on the same machine, and there isn't a current mechanism to share information across multiple machines. If you can access the data you need as REST endpoints, you can use that information in R, albeit without the richer integration of the bridge. If you can describe a little more what you're trying to accomplish and what precludes R from being installed in the ArcGIS environment, I'd be happy to look at this with you in more detail.

Cheers, Shaun

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just curious as to why you would want a server installation since I presume the installation base would be small relative to the total number of users, or is this not the case?

0 Kudos