api 100 build sizes

06-09-2017 01:32 PM
mh10
by
New Contributor III

We are migrating our app from 10.2 to 100  and our app size is now almost doubled, we went from ~54mb to over 100mb. We are now over the size limit for cellular installation, so I was wondering if there is anyway to reduce this size? Nothing substantial changed in our app other than using the new framework, any ideas you might have would be appreciated.

thanks

7 Replies
RyanOlson1
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I have a few questions that will help get this sorted out:

How are you measuring the app size?

Is it a release binary?

Does it contain bitcode?

Was this from a build or an archive operation?

Are you using static or dynamic framework?

Thanks

0 Kudos
NikolayYekimov
New Contributor II

I am experiencing similar issue, would like to add my data.

1. I compared my app with esri 10.2.5 and then with 100.0, the difference is about ~30mb.

2. It's a release binary for ad-hoc distribution via hockey.

3. We compile with bitcode flag set to No. Does esri v 100.0 support bitcode finally?

4. Archive operation.

5. I am using cocoapods' esri pod.

0 Kudos
mh10
by
New Contributor III

These are release archive builds, bitcode is disabled, using static arcgis.

In itunes connect the Compressed File Size is 107m for new builds, the old ones are 52m

under App Store File Sizes popup the new one has
Universal 121 MB
iPad Pro WiFi 68.2 MB

old ones are

Universal 63.4 MB
iPad Pro WiFi 37.9 MB

I never knew about this popup before, we aren't doing universal builds so I think we are actually ok for cellular. But if we could trim the size anyway it would be great.

thanks

0 Kudos
RyanOlson1
Esri Contributor

couple more questions:

what version of xcode are you using?

are you using any swift code?

0 Kudos
mh10
by
New Contributor III

We are on xcode Version 8.3.1

no swift in the project

0 Kudos
NikolayYekimov
New Contributor II

And for my example, my project is swift only, except objc dependencies such as argis ios sdk. XCODE is 8.3.2 

0 Kudos
mh10
by
New Contributor III

Hi

The builds have actually gotten bigger when I upgraded to 100.1

Universal 194 MB

iPad Pro WiFi 106 MB

if I unzip the generated ipa file, show package contents of file inside payload

(both builds are using ArcGIS from pods)

100 build
app 108.4m

ArcGIS.bundle 3m
(empty Frameworks)

100.1 build

app 17.7m
ArcGIS.bundle 3.5m
Frameworks/ArgGIS.framework/ArcGIS 155m
Frameworks/ArgGIS.framework/ArcGIS.bundle 3.5m

ArgGIS is our only framework that gets included in the ipa file like this, we also have Fabric/Crashlytics but don't appear under Frameworks inside the build. But I'm completely lost about how all of this gets assembled together.

Also there was some large files installed with 100.1 pod, I deleted them and nothing changed:

Pods/ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS/ArcGIS.framework.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/ArcGIS

Pods/ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS/ArcGIS.framework/D0232C62-46C8-3EC7-BEFC-B97D5DBEFAF3.bcsymbolmap
Pods/ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS/ArcGIS.framework/F0DCCFF7-C883-3FB3-A2CD-F5186C2E69E0.bcsymbolmap

If you have any insights I would appreciate it, we are now ok with our app not being installed over cellular so its not a huge deal, but just curious why the files in 100.1 builds are in different places.

0 Kudos