ArcGIS Earth 1.5 - still trouble with AMD FireGL on Dual graphics laptop

06-13-2017 01:48 AM
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Hi - I just installed ArcGIS Earth 1.5 and an issue I always had is unfortunately still there:
ArcGIS Earth will only run on the on-board Intel HD graphics card - not on the AMD FirePro M4100 FireGL V
A shame - since the FireGL would have much more graphics power.

I wonder: Has anyone ever found a solution for that? Others have reported similar (here -  and no - it can not be solved by installing another AMD driver.
During beta of Earth 1.x this was discussed (with support), tested and not succesfull and has been the issue since. Drivers are as recent as supported and i.e. ArcGIS Pro runs smoothly on the AMD card - very nice!.

Keep in mind though that the same issue arises with Drone2Map - so things point to "Runtime" as the cause. Here it is even worse, since Drone2Map would make use of the GPL for processing - and cant that way.

But since there are many individual settings for AMD graphics cards in the control center, my hope remains that this can be solved by adjusting these settings on an application level. Any ideas? Successes?  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately this appears to be an issue with Runtime support of systems with a graphics co-processor (eg Intel and AMD).  Unfortunately the only workaround at the moment is to use the Intel GPU.  We are actively working on a solution for Runtime, which Earth will be able to incorporate. Note, for tracking, a similar issue has been logged with tech support (BUG-000097132).  

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks - lets see what comes first - another new Laptop to use (business cycle) or a solution 🙂
Regards Guenter

0 Kudos