Extract a footprint from each ArcMap's layout view into polygon ?

06-15-2017 01:20 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have a several maps that are almost in the same extent area and they are in mxd.  Is there a way for me to get them into footprints from each ArcMap  Layout view .

The reason I am asking is because i am working on a few "highlight" of the roads that I am putting them into these ArcMap and they are closer to each other. It will be hard for me to put them in all of them and they may not show up or not.  The highlights are not spread out and are sort of cluster to each other and  they might be smaller area.   So what I want to do is to run and get a results from each ArcMap and then output them into polygon. This way I can put the "highlight" shapefiles to show me which ArcMap that I can put them there. It will save me a lot of time.

I have one map that is overview of the area and then I have several of them that are break down  into smaller areas of Interest.  These maps are part of the Kiosk maps and are put up the wall that are spread out in the area.

It has no raster in it and just mostly layers that are in polygon, points, annotation and lines.

I think someone mention this somewhere but I am not sure about that for the Non-raster side.

P.S. Much similiar to XTools's Extract Map but I really don't need it. It takes out from the shapefiles into a new folder....

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

Would making a Map Book, or Data Driven Pages, serve as a solution to your dilemma? 

What are Data Driven Pages?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Creating Data Driven Pages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

No I have figured it out and I will post it once I am done with it. I have about 20 of them and so far I have run 7. 

Stay tuned.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Cool, I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Ok so you can see these shapefiles I have worked on...These are the green lines are highlight . Here is the screenshot...

Now , I had many PDF files that I sent to from PDF to TIFF conversion to see where these green lines are in....

Now you can see why I was trying to figure it out to find where are the green lines are in the footprint... You can look it up where they are in the maps that I need to pull out and put them in the right map. So, the footprint is where each PDF that was exported

I don't know what is the other way around to do this so this is only way I could do .

So in using the Select Layer by Location Batch and it gave me 17 of Kiosk maps that the green highlight was located in.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not sure if these will help any, but thought I'd point them out in case they do.

Creates a polygon feature from the current map extent. In layout the extent will be of the map data frame, in data view it the resulting extent will be of the application window extent.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a9b032f739254ebeb6221c9294ebc886 

Creates a polygon from the current map extent. Particularly useful in creating extent rectangles for maps or shapes for a graphical index.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=0dcb445291bf461bb573b1504c170e0c 

There might be others if you try a few different search terms ArcGIS Code Sharing 

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. Yes I have seen both of these. I have tried the Create the Data Frame polygon and that does not work. I think it will take a while for me to figure it out. The Shapefile you see above is a very small area.. Problem it doesn't have a selected it ask me to choose from like for an example , choose the extent from that shapefile instead... So basically it takes from the extent of the data frame...

The first one is that I don't have ArcGIS 10.4 or higher but honestly I am suppose to upgrade to ArcGIS 10.5 anytime soon.

So, I am out of options here so that is why I was using the the PDF to TIFF and that is the only way to do it. It can be a time-consuming to me but that is the only way i can do  that.

I also look into the ArcGIS Code Sharing as well and did not fine any...I think I recalled there was one but it was not there anymore...

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I've also run into this issue in the past of needing to capture the layout extents and had not found an easy automated solution.  In the past when there are just a few mxds to capture the layout extent I've just ended up buckling down and digitizing the extents as polygons while in layout view.  If there is not currently a solution, this could be a fallback.  Painful, but it doesn't take that long.

Chris Donohue, GISP