How do I put new update data automatically connect to existing web map? On ArcCatalog, service workspace: I noticed the tab has copied and not on referenced. How can I fix this from copied to referenced? Also, every time I try to put new update data but w

Jump to solution
06-15-2017 08:06 PM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

How do I put new update data automatically connect to existing web map? On ArcCatalog, service workspace: I noticed the tab has copied and not on referenced tab. How can I fix this from copied to referenced? Also, every time I try to put new update data but web map still keeps the old data. I need it to be automatically every time update new to web map. Please assist me in this matter step by step. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Alexis,

Can you please provide more information:

Are you publishing from ArcMap directly to ArcGIS Online and therefore creating a hosted feature layer? or

Are you publishing from ArcMap to a GIS Server site; then referencing the web service in your web map?

If you are publishing directly to ArcGIS Online and creating hosted feature layers, then the data is always copied to ArcGIS Online and there is no way to automatically update the data - you would have to republish the updated data. I suppose this might be automated with a custom python script.

If you are publishing to a GIS Server site, have you defined data stores (e.g., a valid location for source data for your web services) for the GIS Server site? Registering your data with the GIS Server site will enable you to reference your source data for the web services. This means that as the source data is updated, the web service is updated, and data in the web map will also be updated.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have ArcGIS Server installed, You need to register your data with ArcGIS Server.

Think Location
DerekLaw

Hi Alexis,

Can you please provide more information:

Are you publishing from ArcMap directly to ArcGIS Online and therefore creating a hosted feature layer? or

Are you publishing from ArcMap to a GIS Server site; then referencing the web service in your web map?

If you are publishing directly to ArcGIS Online and creating hosted feature layers, then the data is always copied to ArcGIS Online and there is no way to automatically update the data - you would have to republish the updated data. I suppose this might be automated with a custom python script.

If you are publishing to a GIS Server site, have you defined data stores (e.g., a valid location for source data for your web services) for the GIS Server site? Registering your data with the GIS Server site will enable you to reference your source data for the web services. This means that as the source data is updated, the web service is updated, and data in the web map will also be updated.

Hope this helps,

AlexP_
by

I also have feature layer (hosted) that been set up with attachments. Is there possible to have it automatically data whenever save edit?  Any better way? Please advise. thank you 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Alexis,

> I also have feature layer (hosted) that been set up with attachments. Is there possible to have it automatically data whenever save edit? 

I am not clear on what you are asking. When you save edits to a hosted feature layer, yes it is automatically updated. So the next time you query it, you will observe the changes. Is that what you mean?

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

According to your statement: If you are publishing directly to ArcGIS Online and creating hosted feature layers, then the data is always copied to ArcGIS Online and there is no way to automatically update the data - you would have to republish the updated data. 

I realized feature layer (hosted) doesn't automatically the data, so instead I have to republish. If I want to have it automatically, I have to use referenced data set up thru map service. On ArcMap, click on file - share as - publish as service - and so on until the end then publish it. I have an issue that pop up. I couldn't go forward to publish map service. I couldn't get sde feature class register as versioned because it has created attachments. (I think) I am afraid if I disable attachment, it might lose the info. Please advice. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Alexis,

> I couldn't go forward to publish map service. I couldn't get sde feature class register as versioned because it has created attachments.

What is the error message you're seeing when you run the Analyze operation in ArcMap? Can you please provide a screenshot?

FYI: I am working at the Esri UC this week, so my reply may be delayed.

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

Here is screenshot. 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Alexis,

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you've encountered a known limitation with the software by referencing the Esri KnowledgeBase doc,

Error: Failed to register as versioned. Unique indexes can't be specified for multiversioned tables 

I'm not sure what else I can do, as the document says this error message is by design.

AlexP_
by

I understand. Thank you for your response. I am not sure if I should post a new question since it is somewhat related to original question. I am trying to set up a "Story Map Tour" from the original question. The web map is already set up " publishing to a GIS Server site, have you defined data stores (e.g., a valid location for source data for your web services) for the GIS Server site? Registering your data with the GIS Server site will enable you to reference source data for the web services." Do I have to connect story map from web map and would it connect automatically data whatever save to "Story Map Tour"?  Would it work? I have a difficult to find resource. Please let me know. Thank you.

0 Kudos