Web based authentication for story map

Jump to solution
06-16-2017 06:38 AM
JulianAdams1
New Contributor

Hello everyone

I am currently attempting to embed a story map into a website but do to security reasons, I am not able to make the map public.  The problem I am having is that every time the website page is opened, the app will not load unless the user has already signed into the ArcGIS Online portal.  I know that it is not possible to have the ArcGIS Online sign in page in an iframe but are there any work around that you know of?  Thanks for your help

#Web Based Authentication #ArcGIS #Story Map

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

It's for security reasons that the sign in page cannot be loaded from within an iframe. You can download the app and configure it to take advantage of a different login method which will still work when embedded.

The easy workaround if you still want to use the hosted version would be to embedded a screenshot of the app that opens the app in a new tab.

If you need to embed the app, you can download the source code from our github account and change the authentication method to use oauth that opens a sign-in in a new tab.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Moving to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/storymaps?sr=search&searchId=91395cfa-f052-4583-aa3...‌ to better your chances of getting help... GeoNet Help is about getting help on how to use GeoNet

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

It's for security reasons that the sign in page cannot be loaded from within an iframe. You can download the app and configure it to take advantage of a different login method which will still work when embedded.

The easy workaround if you still want to use the hosted version would be to embedded a screenshot of the app that opens the app in a new tab.

If you need to embed the app, you can download the source code from our github account and change the authentication method to use oauth that opens a sign-in in a new tab.