Two maps of Detroit on different sides of the globe

06-15-2017 03:36 PM
AndreMasnari1
New Contributor II

Hello,
I'm a bit new to GIS and am having a bit of an issue
I have a .csv that i have converted into a feature class- the feature class displays correctly(it is a map of all robberies in Detroit in a given  year).  
I also have a .shp that is all of the locations of the lights in the same city- it also displays correctly, but in a completely different part of the map.
When I add a basemap, the .shp points are all in the correct city, while the .csv created feature class is out in the Atlantic ocean.
I have ensured that all the layers and the data frame are using the same geo reference systems.

I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I've attached both the .shp in a zip and the .csv I'm working with.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

without even looking... if it is in North America, the longitudes need to be negative

AndreMasnari1
New Contributor II

Yes, they are negative

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The csv doesn't have a defined coordinate system then and you haven't mixed up longitude (X) and latitude (Y) have you?... copy a few lines and paste to save the whole download and unzip thing.

0 Kudos
JoshuaSchwartz
New Contributor III

Here's what I see when I follow the workflow below:

Here was my workflow:

1. Open ArcMap
  2. Add .csv to TOC
  3. Right-click on .csv and select "Disply XY Data"
  4. Select WGS84 as the Geographic Coordinate system, and ensure X = Longitude field and Y = Latitude field
    1. Results = robberies.csv Events appears in TOC, with points plotted in correct locations.
  5. Add OriginalOHLights to TOC
    1. Results = OHLights points appear in correct location

His longitudes are negatives, BTW.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

then the X,Ys could have been swapped... if the negative is missing for longitudes you end up north of the equator but on the wrong side of Greenwich.. If they are swapped, you end up in the southern hemisphere

0 Kudos
JoshuaSchwartz
New Contributor III

Yes sir. He says he's new to GIS, could very much be the case of swapped Xs and Ys.

0 Kudos
AndreMasnari1
New Contributor II

I followed that exact workflow, only to end up with a the map zooming somewhere in the area of greenland 

0 Kudos
AndreMasnari1
New Contributor II

Nevermind, I am a dork and messed something up.  In any case, it works now.  Issue seems to be I had a projection of world_auxilary_sphere 1984 chosen.
Thanks for the help!

JoshuaSchwartz
New Contributor III

ArcMap will always set the dataframe's projection to the first dataset's projection that you add to the TOC. I suspect you had the World Map basemap in your TOC prior to doing anything else, which would explain the world_auxiliary_sphere 1984.