Advanced Rendering

06-16-2017 04:59 PM
JohnEricksen
New Contributor II

I am currently adding symbols to a map in two different techniques.  My goal is to add icons (PictureMarkerSymbol) with text (TextSymbol) within a CompositeSymbol.

The first technique I use is to add the icon and graphics directly via the Graphic constructor.  The target of this technique seems to be more appropriate for dynamic data sets.  Using this technique I am able to move the graphics around the map and update parts of the CompositeSymbol (rotate the PictureMarkerSymbol).

The second technique I use is to leverage a UniqueValueRenderer.  Via the renderer I pre-define every unique CompositeSymbol and look them up after the fact.  This technique seems to target more static data sets.

Both of these work well enough, but I am faced with a couple questions:

1.  Using the Graphic constructor technique is it possible to change the image displayed within the PictureMarkerSymbol?  I would like to change the icon based on a status of the underlying associated data point.

2.  using the Renderer approach, is it possible to set the text displayed with the TextSymbol for each Graphic, possibly based on the Graphic parameters?  If I could dynamically change this, this might signifincatly simplify my UniqueValueRenderer.  Likewise, is it possible to affect other properties of a Renderer's symbol, perhaps rotating a symbol within a CompositeSymbol?  If this is possible I could use a Renderer instead of the Graphic constructor approach.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies