Attempting to add or preview TIFFs cause ArcMap to close and send error report

06-16-2017 12:56 PM
PaulKarkoska
New Contributor II

When I attempt to add a tiff to my map or preview it in catalog, Arcmap and Catalog close out and a 'send error report' window pops up. This only happens with tiffs exported from correlator3d. I can preview the tiffs in photo viewers and other mapping programs, so why does arcmap crash? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like there is a problem with the export options in the source program.  Can you provide any details of the options that are available there? and, have you tried a different export format?

0 Kudos
PaulKarkoska
New Contributor II

I spoke with support from the source program and they were able to open the tiff in ArcMap Desktop 10.3. So they have suggested it's a bug with 10.5.  The geotiff also opens in other programs besides the program it was exported from.  I was able to re-export the project as a  TFW from the source program, which ArcMap successfully opened. Still not opening it when exported as a geotiff. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a good example to report ... if it is a bug it would be nice to have it dealt with (I tend to use tfw variants of images so I can't help further, sorry

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Can you provide one of the tiffs? I think it would be very easy and straight-forward for you to advise how to convert the TIFF using GDAL so it works VERY WELL with ArcGIS. We can also use GDAL to analyze the TIFF - I'd be glad to assist!

0 Kudos