If you install Portal for ArcGIS on the forward facing web server, do you need a web adaptor for Portal?

Jump to solution
06-19-2017 12:16 PM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III

If you install Portal for ArcGIS on the forward facing web server, do you still have to install the web adaptor for portal on the web server. I understand that the web adaptor forwards the requests to the Portal when Portal is behind the firewall. The documentation says you must install the web adaptor here.

http://geodata.cherokee.org/portal/portalhelp/en/admin/help/#/Portal_for_ArcGIS_10_5_system_requirem...

ArcGIS Web Adaptor -ArcGIS Web Adaptor is a required component of Portal for ArcGIS, which allows you to integrate your portal with your existing web server and your organization's security mechanisms. You cannot deploy Portal for ArcGIS in your organization without the Web Adaptor.

Thanks,
Janie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Hm, that line should be updated in the documentation, as that's not entirely true.  It's fine to use a reverse proxy or load balancer in the case of Portal HA.

Aside from the fact that it's a best practice to put Portal behind your firewall and conceal its machine name, standard ports for URLs are 80 and 443.  I'm not sure if you have another component you'll use to send traffic from 80 to 7080 or 443 to 7443, but it won't lend itself to be a clean user experience if you don't have something in front running on 80 and 443.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Hm, that line should be updated in the documentation, as that's not entirely true.  It's fine to use a reverse proxy or load balancer in the case of Portal HA.

Aside from the fact that it's a best practice to put Portal behind your firewall and conceal its machine name, standard ports for URLs are 80 and 443.  I'm not sure if you have another component you'll use to send traffic from 80 to 7080 or 443 to 7443, but it won't lend itself to be a clean user experience if you don't have something in front running on 80 and 443.

JanieGoddard

Hi Jonathan,

I will be happy to use the Web Adaptor either place they have me put the Portal for ArcGIS. It does sound like it is very much needed.

We are debating putting the Portal for ArcGIS on the Web Server OR the same server behind the firewall the ArcGIS for Server is currently on. Any input?

Thanks,
Janie

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It's up to you, really.  There's functionally no difference where you put the Portal.  If best practices for security within your organization led you to install Server behind the firewall, then you should do the same for Portal.  The following documentation describes firewalls, best practices, and ArcGIS Server.  The information can be applied to Portal as well:

Firewalls and ArcGIS Server—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

JanieGoddard

Thanks Jonathan! I appreciate your input!

Janie

0 Kudos