AGOL Story Map Journal 508 Compliance

Jump to solution
06-20-2017 11:30 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Our organization is about to launch a handful of ArcGIS Story Maps, and our 508-complaince office (accessibility) flagged a few issues with the application that are beyond our control. Without addressing these comments, they will not sponsor the product.

1.  The application loading gif (I assume those three bars that appear when the page is loading) does not have Alt Text.
  2. The application is missing a <noscript> tag, to indicate that Javascript must be enabled for proper functionality.

If I am misinterpreting either of these items, please let me know so I can forward to the compliance office and release our awesome products.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mike -- we were able to get the <noscript> tag and alt text for the loading GIF into the release that's coming next week. On Wednesday morning (6/28), run your tests again and let us know if the apps pass. If not, please let us know ASAP on this thread because there is a possibility we could modify the app in a patch; however, there's only a small window of a few days for that.

The tab ordering and alt text for side panel images are on our list to consider for future releases. Again, thanks for providing such detailed feedback on these issues.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mike -- thanks for reporting this. We very much appreciate receiving specific, actionable requests regarding accessibility and Section 508 issues like this.

We are trying to get the changes you've requested in for a release we have coming up next week. Can you please let me know which story map apps you are using so we can prioritize those apps in our queue?

Owen Evans
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Absolutely! Here is specifically what was flagged by the office:

Story Map Journal--with docked side bar:

• Missing Alt Text on the loading GIF
  • missing <noscript> tag, to indicate that Javascript must be enabled for proper functionality.
  • Incorrect tab ordering, making it impossible for the user to tab into the map area (main stage) from the side panel, using only a keyboard.

Story Map Series--with tabs:

• Missing Alt Text on the loading GIF
  • Incorrect tab ordering, making it impossible for the user to tab into the map area (main stage) from the side panel, using only a keyboard.
  • No Alt Text in side bar images (I can add captions, which might meet this request, but I can't add HTML to specify ALT).
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mike -- we were able to get the <noscript> tag and alt text for the loading GIF into the release that's coming next week. On Wednesday morning (6/28), run your tests again and let us know if the apps pass. If not, please let us know ASAP on this thread because there is a possibility we could modify the app in a patch; however, there's only a small window of a few days for that.

The tab ordering and alt text for side panel images are on our list to consider for future releases. Again, thanks for providing such detailed feedback on these issues.

Owen Evans
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Owen,

Thanks for the impressive turnaround! I'll make sure the 508-team is standing by on 28 JUN.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Mike -- how did things go with the testing?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI,

The ArcGIS Online Dev team is currently looking for feedback and requirements on the accessibility needs of users and how to improve the accessibility of ArcGIS Online. Please complete this short survey,

ArcGIS Online Accessibility Survey 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos