Pulldata or Choices

Jump to solution
06-23-2017 06:23 AM
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

When does it make sense to use pulldata as opposed to lists in the Choices tab - is a list of ten thousand records acceptable for pulldata?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Renato,

pulldata doesn't create list choices - it looks up data based on a previous entry.  External Choice lists does offload the choices from eh choices worksheet (Cascading and external selects—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ).  Yes, I would say once the list becomes more than a few hundred the external select should be used instead.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Renato,

pulldata doesn't create list choices - it looks up data based on a previous entry.  External Choice lists does offload the choices from eh choices worksheet (Cascading and external selects—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ).  Yes, I would say once the list becomes more than a few hundred the external select should be used instead.

RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @James Tedrick. I figured out how the choice filter will be a workaround for my original plan to use external data. The search () feature would really be valuable with dynamic lists. During testing I also realized that multiple CSVs can be used with a survey. I see this very valuable too.  But then at what point will the survey be efficient in terms of file sizes and publishing. I see the importance of load time but it would nice to also see the file size and the size threshold - which could be different based on network speed.

0 Kudos