ArcPy "connectionProperties" become "Read Only" in Pro 2.0?!

07-01-2017 04:55 AM
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I am just in a minor shock here. After upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 2.0, suddenly an ArcMap / Pro compatible ArcPy application I have been working on for a long time stopped working. Upon examination of my code, I came to the conclusion it was related to the 'connectionProperties' property of workspaces. Prior to 2.0, this was read/write in ArcPy. Now, in 2.0, examining the Help and judging the code failure, it seems to have become read only... (Workspace properties—ArcPy Functions | ArcGIS Desktop). This is a breaking API change!

My tool, and probably a lot of scripts by other users, depends on the ability to set the connectionProperties. This is a debilitating limitation introduced in 2.0, that seriously curtails what you can do with ArcPy in Pro 2.0 and above in terms of management of connection properties. Why-oh-why did ESRI change this? If it is because to many people were wrecking their connection properties because they were to inexperienced with ArcPy or un-careful when using this powerful option, then ESRI should educate their users, not remove the option and silently change the API.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Minor update: it seems you can still update the connection properties on layer files (*.lyrx), by using the "updateConnectionProperties" method on LayerFile:

LayerFile—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

Changing my code for one of the failing scripts from:

conProp['connection_info']['database'] = newFileGDB
    newProLyr.connectionProperties = conProp
 ‍‍‍

to:

conProp['connection_info']['database'] = newFileGDB    
    newProLyr.updateConnectionProperties(newProLyr.connectionProperties,conProp‍‍‍‍)

fixed at least one tool.

I still need to evaluate others.

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

And another update after a bit more investigation:

The "dataSource" property of the Layer class also seems to have become Read Only. However, you can use the "updateConnectionProperties" on the same class to solve this:

Layer—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

This upgrade to 2.0 definitely needs some changes!

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

I'm glad you raised this because I am encountering the issue of the Layer class method no longer being Read and Write too.  Unfortunately, in my case I don't think the "updateConnectionProperties" method can be used to restore my workflow.

The coding pattern that I need to work or workaround is:

import arcpy

aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(r"C:\temp\test.aprx")

mapx = aprx.listMaps("Map")[0]

lyr = mapx.listLayers("Test Layer")[0]

lyr.dataSource = r"C:\temp\test.gdb\testFC2"

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/254548/switching-data-source-of-layer-to-new-feature-class-u...

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I see you managed to work out a solution, as you posted it on GISStackExchange.

Yes, in general, I think all workflows can still be accomodated. It just requires figuring out how to work with lyr.updateConnectionProperties() and specifically how to manipulate the dictionary returned by lyr.connectionProperties.

However, I agree some of this has become a bit less intuitive...

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmm, it seems some Help pages still need updating for Pro 2.0, the

Updating and fixing data sources—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

page still lists "connectionProperties" as a valid way to modify connection properties, while the Workspace and Layer Help pages, now clearly list this property as "Read Only", and my experience showed it to be so.

The new paradigm is clearly using "updateConnectionProperties" only for this kind of modifications to data sources.

I may have missed it, even though I have tried to keep up with news and blog about Pro, but it might be nice to see some Blog article about these changes related to updating and fixing data sources in Pro 2.0 versus previous releases.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have the makings of a good blog already Marco