Water Component Representation

07-05-2017 12:58 PM
Kenny_Ratliff
New Contributor III

I'm seeking input regarding component representation in a water GIS.  Please respond with advice, examples, thoughts on the following.  How do you represent horizontal valves where the valve is on the main, but the operating nut may be offset some distance?  (Typically about 3 feet.) 

2 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Two thoughts I have:

Use a point layer to map the operating nut and the bypass valve.  This visually would be hard to see, but would allow the field to accurately find the op nut and the bypass valve.

I think the best would be to expand the valve type domain with new types, such as

Gate – Right Horizontal

Gate – Left Horizontal

Then use the auto rotation of Attribute Assistant and a symbol that shows the offset operating nut and optionally the bypass valve.

Kenny_Ratliff
New Contributor III

Excellent thoughts!  Thanks for the input.  The current symbology we publish for field use shows the open/closed status.  This is especially useful for things such as service interruption response.  I'm hesitant to use that and show two valves (one the actually main location and the other the operating nut), where there is really only one to be seen on site.  I can certainly add the same layer symbolized differently.  I like the idea of using a different symbol that can be rotated and show the offset.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos