ArcMap 10.5 crashes while publishing and loading certain files

07-11-2017 07:18 AM
LeonhardStöckle
New Contributor III

Hey there,

Whenever I try to publish a feature service in ArcMap it crashes. When I tried to publish the same files last week I got the error 001369 (Packaging suceeded, but publishing failed)
After changing nothing over the weekend I found my ArcMap crashing when trying to get the same error again.
Suprised about that I tried to reload my mxd-files just to realize that ArcMap crashes instantaniously when trying to open those files. I also created new feature classes to publish but the result was the same.
What could be the problem? I sincerly don't know where to lock. The log-files from my server manager don't seem to tell me anything (I assume ArcMap doesn't even start to work on the publishing process) and because of the crash I can't look into the ArcMap results window.

Had anybody similiar problems while publishing services to his portal?

Thanks in advance
Leo

0 Kudos
7 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Leonhard,

1. What is the version of your ArcGIS Server?
  2. Have you checked if the Publishing Tools status?
  3. The layers you are trying to publish, where do they reside? (.gdb, or enterprise DB)
  4. What capabilities are you enabling in service?
  5. Try Using the MXD Doctor utility—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  to resolve issues with the map document. Click on Start > ArcGIS > Desktop Tools > MXD Doctor.

~Shan
0 Kudos
LeonhardStöckle
New Contributor III

Hi,

1. The server version is 10.5

2. Where do I check the status? It seems to be defining a service definition from looking at the publishing process window. I can't look at the result window because of the crashing.
3. They are saved in a gdb, i get the layers from an oracle12 sde. 

4. Editing, Updatin, Extraction and delete. I would like to do syncing to but it isn't necessary for the moment.

(I want to use the feature services for Collector for ArcGIS)

5. The MXD Doctor didn't find any issues.

Could it be that there is something broken in the installation which I could resolve by reinstalling?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

You can check the status of the Publishing tool by logging into the ArcGIS Server Manager, Service Tab > System. It should be started for the server to publish any service.

The data that you are adding to the map document is sourced from a file geodatabase or Oracle 12c. (I am not clear on what you mentioned in your response. Are you migrating feature classes from Oracle 12c to a file geodatabase?)

You are basically trying to give a feature service, with all Add, Delete, Update, Sync and Extract capabilities. I'd suggest you go throw the following documentation which will be helpful to see if you are missing some components while publishing the feature service

Also, re-installation might not be necessary, in fact as per Esri  Technical Support team no one will suggest you to directly go for reinstallation for any Esri product.

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
LeonhardStöckle
New Contributor III

Ah now I see what you were saying. The publishingTool is started. 

Yeah, I got feature classes from an oracle database which I copy in the standard gdb from ArcMap. 

It should be everything alright. I already published services to my server. It just started to act all crazy last week. Before that I hadn't had any problems with publishing. I also could publish exactly the same mxd-files and all two weeks prior. Now they lead to crashes.

I just realized ArcMap also crashing because of other reasons, e.g. adding global IDs to my data.

This leads to my suspicion regarding a somehow damaged installation.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Is there any specific reason as to why you are migrating the data locally into a gdb? Also, once the edits are made how do you bring them back to Oracle?

I mean why not directly use Oracle DB for publishing the service? You can simply register the database and start publishing from Oracle. I have a similar setup with me.

If you are planning on using Sync capability you need to enable versioning on your feature dataset. Refer:  Prepare data for offline use—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

~Shan
0 Kudos
LeonhardStöckle
New Contributor III

I got my databases registered at my server. I also have my data versioned. How do you mean publish from oracle? I have to get my feature classes from the catalog into arcmap.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
 I have to get my feature classes from the catalog into arcmap.

Yes, get the feature classes from ArcCatalog into ArcMap point directly from Oracle.

~Shan
0 Kudos