Table Join: Many to One - Create Overlapping Polygons

Discussion created by ljcwalston on Jan 11, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 by rfairhur24
I have a question on joining/relating non-spatial tabular data to a polygon GIS layer, which would essentially expand the GIS layer (new FIDs) by the number of matching tabular records to the spatial data. I'm working on this in ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1. I have a polygon layer for township ranges. I have a separate table that tracks ecological data in each township range. The external table and the polygon dataset are associated by township range code. There are roughly 700 unique township range polygons in my area of interest. However, there are many multiple ecological records for each township range in the external tabular dataset that I am maintaining (~7,000). I would like to run some sort of table join on the GIS layer to add all matching ecological records to the GIS layer and expand the GIS layer by common attribute (township range code), thereby creating overlapping polygons where multiple ecological data occur. The simple and straightforward table joins and relates do not do this successfully and I have checked on previous forums that have attempted to ask this question with no helpful results. Is anyone aware of a work around, arcscript, or program that will perform this task?

Thanks for any info,