using a MDB file in arc map

07-18-2017 07:52 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Greetings...

I am an occassional arcmap user. Mainly working with shape files. I have received a mdb file from a client. I do not know how to get this file into arcmap. I was hoping it was just a drag and drop from the catalog, but that didn't work. I'd appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks. 

MKH

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

What version of ArcGIS are you using?  Did you try using the 'Add Data' button?

MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

using 10.3.1

used the add data button. got this message . Tables show up in the table of contents, but no data in the map.

0 Kudos
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mike are you using ArcGIS Desktop Basic?

Esri Support published this technical article. Their solution is that you would need to upgrade to either ArcGIS Desktop Standard (ArcEditor) or ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (ArcInfo)

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are still unable to add the data, could you expand the MDB (to see its content) in ArcCatalog, and send a screenshot? Or better, if you could zip the MDB and share with me for testing @ joypoddar.87@gmail.com

Think Location
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

sent

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The MDB file looks like a simple access file, and not a Personal Geodatabase. So, there is no spatial data.

Also I couldn't find any field containing Lat./Lon. values which could have been mapped. Maybe you will need to go back to your client for shapefiles/Geodatabase/Lat./Lon. values.

NOTE: ArcMap reads Personal Geodatabase, not an MS Access File, although both have MDB extension.

Think Location
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II
  1. Open ArcMap
  2. Click 'Add Data' button (as mentioned above)
  3. Navigate to where the .mdb file is stored
  4. Double Click on the .mdb file (this will allow you to see the data that is housed inside the personal geodatabase)
  5. Select the data you want to add to ArcMap
  6. Click Add
Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

For clarify , that error because you add geodatabase file in arc map , but you shoud open geodatabse inside the browse window and add the feature class of geodatabase. not all geodatabase.