Orthorectify One Image with GCP

07-17-2017 02:05 PM
IsaacMedel_Calvo
New Contributor II

Is possible Orthorectify one Image with GCP in ArcMap?. I don't found any example or help that explain how to do it. The only manner I saw is using images with RPC and MDT and use the Orthorectify function, but you can't use GCP.

If I use georeferencing as first step and create a new image I lost the RPC file and the Orthorectify button is disable. 

I would like to do an orthorectification like others software did.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Georeferencing a raster may be what you are looking for

0 Kudos
IsaacMedel_Calvo
New Contributor II

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your answer, but not exactly I looking for. I don't want a georeferencing imagen I need and Orthorectify image. The original image have a displacement, when I georeferencing the image appear in the correct place, if I create a new image, this image lost RPC and the Orthorectify function appear disable. If I update de georreference Image the image appear in the correct place but when apply the MDT with the update Image the result is the same as I don't use any GCP. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

There is full Orthorectification in ArcGIS - have a look at the New Ortho-Workspace in Pro or the respective GP tools and the Frame Camera raster type ... but you will need more than just GCP's - you need inner and outer orientation of the frames.

0 Kudos
IsaacMedel_Calvo
New Contributor II

Hello Günter,

Thanks a lot for your answer, this is a RPC image and in I tried in ArcGIS Pro 2.0, and seems to works fine (I must do it more test). I would like a solution in ArcMap, because most of our cliente have ArcMap and the change to ArcGIS Pro is very difficult in a sort term. For new clients ArcGIS Pro is the best solution in this cases. If anyone know to do it in ArcMap could be great. 

Thanks for your propousals.

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel

Aaah - so it is RPC and not GCP  🙂
Is it from a commercial vendor that is in the list of supported raster types? Like GeoEye or DigitalGlobe? Then you should be able to add it to the Map or ingest it into a MosaicDataset. If it is not automatically recognized, you might see this and use the Image Analysis window and specify the location of the RPC information yourself ... 

0 Kudos
IsaacMedel_Calvo
New Contributor II

Sorry, perhaps I don't explain correctly. I hava an Image con RPC (Geoeye 1, WV-3, Pleiades, and others), in many cases this images have some displacement, and you need 2 o 3 GCP to do a better Orthorectification using the MDT.

I review your links

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel

Hi Isaac,

sorry - that beats me. I have never tried to follow a workflow that is intended for many scenes to just ONE Image. If you follow this workflow you MIGHT be succesful - given that you can specify a better DEM and import your GCP's ... but the effort is quite high. Would be interesting to hear if you find a solution or if this works. I have no sample imagery to test (especially no GCPs to go with it) ... 

0 Kudos
IsaacMedel_Calvo
New Contributor II

Hi Günter,

I tried in ArcMap and works, but it's a little complicated and you have to do so many steps to have a good result.

I tried to do in ArcGIS Pro 2.0, the process is more easy, faster and the results are so good.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos